[P2P-F] Fw: [gang8] interbank settlement etc.

robert searle dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Sep 8 11:01:10 CEST 2012

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Gunnar Tómasson <gunnar.tomasson at verizon.net>
To: gang8 at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, 6 September 2012, 13:07
Subject: Re: [gang8] interbank settlement etc.

Thanks for sharing these links, Richard.

I will be interested to see whether the international banking system may have moved towards what I have been toying with since the 1980s, namely the idea of automatic overdraft facilities within a computerized international banking network for banking units that follow certain (still-to-be-specified) macro-prudential guidelines for their loan operations.

I have in mind an updated version of Keynes's bancor concept/international financial framework.

Of course, it is not a practical concept as of now - but once the post-Bretton Woods international monetary non-system runs out of operational steam, Keynes's thinking may serve as a guide to a sustainable system.

Gunnar

Sep 6, 2012 04:27:20 AM, gang8 at yahoogroups.com wrote:

>Dear All,
>
>Robert Fischer wants to draw our attention to three articles about the web of interbank connections, and implications, namely
>

>1. Stefano Battiston et al. in Nature (Aug 2012):
>

>DebtRank: Too Central to Fail? Financial Networks, the FED and Systemic Risk
>

>               Abstract
>Systemic risk, here meant as the risk of default of a large portion of the financial system, depends on the network of financial exposures among institutions. However, there is no widely accepted methodology to determine the systemically important nodes in a network. To fill this gap, we introduce, DebtRank, a novel measure of systemic impact inspired by feedback-centrality. As an application, we analyse a new and unique dataset on the USD 1.2 trillion FED emergency loans program to global financial institutions during 2008–2010. We find that a group of 22 institutions, which received most of the funds, form a strongly connected graph where each of the nodes becomes systemically important at the peak of the crisis. Moreover, a systemic default could have been triggered even by small dispersed shocks. The results suggest that the debate on too-big-to-fail institutions should include the even more serious issue of too-central-to-fail.
>
>Source: http://www.nature.com/srep/2012/120802/srep00541/full/srep00541.html
>

>2. Working paper Nr 321 of the Bank of England:
>On which he comments:  “an interesting thought, IMHO related with the work of Stefano Battiston et al.;  i.e. the netting matrix for bank systems (see page 11). On page 17 there is an important math formula regarding netting ratio between interbank and centrally settled banking networks:
>A-network:  That means correspondent banking, i.e. Transactions in system between “n” international banks without Central Bank, (I call that decentral netting or clearing)
>

>B-network:  Transaction of  “n” Banks with a clearing center (I call that central netting or clearing)
>Theoretically the netting ratio of an A-Network of “n” Banks is sqrt(n-1) times larger then in a  B-network. In other words:  In case of a  global systemic crisis, the “n” banks interconnected in the  A-network  would need theoretically sqrt(n-1) times more central bank money for the the settlement of their open net debit-credit-positions then in a B-Network. Nota bene: Actually the unsettled debit-credit positions of “our” worldwide  A-network  mount to 21 Trillion (10^12) $. (See BIS, quarterly review)
>

>3.  Stefania Vitali, James B. Glattfelder and Stefano Battiston
>The network of global corporate control
>

>Abstract
> [...]
Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)
Recent Activity:
Visit Your Group
The gang8 list is devoted to Creditary Economics.

.