[P2P-F] Fw: [gang8] writedown debts?

robert searle dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 5 14:52:01 CEST 2012

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Hugh Whinfrey <market at svarsmaal.dk>
To: gang8 at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, 5 October 2012, 11:46
Subject: Re: [gang8] writedown debts?

Thanks Dirk. Keen's current business partner saw my
original proposal for this
methodology quite some time ago on another mailing list :-)) He later left it
in a huff that I thought was a bit irrational. I'm
starting to connect some dots now....

A couple other points I should make

1)  I don't see where it is fully sufficient
to confiscate the "weapons" of the 1
percent.

The real issue is the disappearance of the middle
class and that the middle class
needs to be recapitalised - and if that can be done
without the 1% standing in the
way of the critical path of it, then the
justification for pursuing it becomes one of ethics
and practicality rather than absolute necessity.

So what I had in mind was on the order of EUR 10,000 per year per taxpayer,
or more, for a number of years. Young people
in their 20s these days in both
Euroland and the US are in an impossible situation without this kind of help,
they are being marginalised before they even leave
school.Which means that
the 1% are otherwise going to have to fork out
massive social transfer payments,
and that's no way to run an economy.

2) One of the major problems we have encountered in
the markets is shorting and
naked shorting. It
seems some jurisdictions allow the money received in a short
sale to be spent and never, ever booked as profits
if the short is never formally closed.
So taxes are
avoided, and operating capital is manufactured for nothing if the short
is
naked, particularly if the underlying is driven out
of business. The issue is - what is the
interrelationship of "debt forgiveness" with this
practice. It *needs* clarification as
it can look like simply a tax-avoidance and
prosecution-avoidance endgame in relation
to these practices.

So the terms and conditions of what is going on
with it need some work.

Hugh