[P2P-F] Fw: [gang8] Mosler viewpoint

robert searle dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 1 16:00:46 CEST 2012

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Hugh Whinfrey <market at svarsmaal.dk>
To: gang8 at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, 1 October 2012, 5:25
Subject: Re: [gang8] Mosler viewpoint

Interesting piece. Thanks for sharing. I read this stuff with a critical eye, so there are some points I would take issue with, on the other hand I recognise that when you distill a complex situation into several short paragtaphs, one necessarily does have to simplify, which inevitably provides somewhat unfair entry points for criticism.

The only real nitpicking of this type that I think is worth openly mentioning:

--------

>This type of system famously can’t accommodate a net desire to save

To which I think it is crucial to be crystal clear that "saving" is future consumption. If the asset can't deliver future consumption, then it isn't savings no matter what you call it or how you model it.
----

As for its conclusion:

> What this means for the euro zone is that inflation control
>ultimately comes down to limiting government spending by
>limiting selected prices member nations are allowed to pay
>when they spend. Like central banking, it’s about price,
>and not quantity.

In essence, this is an argument for centrally enforced deflation. It has its merits, i.e. it can force the price level down and perhaps affect the factors causing stickiness of wages, thus addressing unemployment.

However, that is only productive in a 'closed system'.

Such deflation would cause the Euro to go through the roof vs. the dollar in terms of the exchange rate (maybe as much as 5 or 6 to the dollar), sink Germany's export-based economy in the process and procure massive gains for speculators with leveraged long positions in the Euro.

So while it may be "economically" sound, depending on one's viewpoint, politically - it isn't tenable. The US would have to do the same thing for it to stand a chance.

Hugh