[P2P-F] Fw: [gang8] On Keynesian/post-keynesian monetary "thought"

robert searle dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 24 17:12:56 CEST 2012

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Arno Mong Daastoel <amd at daastol.com>
To: gang8 at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, 24 May 2012, 15:23
Subject: Re: [gang8] On Keynesian/post-keynesian monetary "thought"

Dear Gunnar,

I wonder, apart from jealousy, is there any “factual” reasons or interests that would make J.Mill and Ricardo suppress Bentham's ideas?

Keynes wrote,
> the increase in the quantity of money is capable of increasing employment.

Yes, I am aware that he wrote stuff like that elsewhere too, arguing that the initial effect of increasing the money supply was to increase economic activity, as when he discusses the Quantity Theory in 1922 (arguing that it is better to risk inflation later, as long as we increase employment now “in the long run we are all dead”). Yet, in the 1933 pamphlet, where the issue of was precisely how to deal with unemployment, he is repeatedly and perfectly clear: Borrow the money.

Also Michael and Richard have both dealt with the forerunners of the “money matters” argument, like John Law etc., as in Michael’s book on trade, and the chapter “Monetary expansion increases employment before prices”.

But the Germans went perhaps one step further? - first by arguing that in a situation of massive unemployment, inflation is hardly as risk (Lautenbach and his colleague Röpke) , and secondly by arguing that new money for productive purposes also is "deflationary" (Lautenbach and Schacht).

Arno

On 21.05.2012 21:35, Gunnar Tomasson wrote:
Dear Arno.

> [...]
>
>3. Why “inconsistent”? Because the model of the General Theory is a “strictly classical” one – read: as in Say’s Law view of entrepreneurial market economies.
>
>4. In the period leading up to the GT, Keynes tied himself into intellectual knots over what came to be known as the “widow’s cruse” – a testament to his failure to marry a “strictly classical” model and his thinking on money and production.
>
>5. The same failure is evident in the GT where Keynes recognized that there was NO ROOM for entrepreneurial profit in a “strictly classical” model of entrepreneurial market economies – hence Keynes’ introduction of “profit expectations” of entrepreneurs as a determining factor in their investment/production decisions.
>
>6. In a “strictly classical” model, a rational entrepreneur would “expect” ZERO PROFIT at best – i.e. on the assumption that Say’s Law was operationally meaningful.
>
>7. The bold-faced words “I suggest” in the above exchanges between Keynes and Hicks is proof that Keynes recognized at the time, if only indistinctly, that the “profit expectations” spiel of the GT was “inconsistent hotch-potch”.
>
>So, I agree with you that Keynes should not be hailed as a monetary genius.
>
>In fact, Jeremy Bentham is the sole “monetary genius” that I came across in the 1970s, when I spent idle time at the IMF on researching the literature for sensible monetary thought.
>
>I worked my way backward, from the most recent writers to successively older ones and was about to despair to find any trace of sensible monetary thought until I struck pay dirt in Jeremy Bentham’s writings.
>
>All of which has a bearing on this complex subject matter:
>
>1. The “strictly brought up classical economists” James Mill and David Ricardo absolutely detested Jeremy Bentham’s writings on “new money” being capable of “increasing output/employment”.
>
>2. James Mill saw to it that Bentham’s writings were not published in the early 19th century – and they remained unpublished until published under the sponsorship of the Royal Economic Society around 1950.
>
>3. Keynes, an erstwhile “strictly brought up classical economist”, took the initiative as President of the RES for someone to gather and publish Bentham’s dust-covered manuscripts.
>
>4. Modern Keynesians have thrown out – or, rather, never understood the necessity of – the “strictness of classical economists”.
>
>5. Therefore their monetary “thinking” is a mess – for the very possibility of an “increase in money … increasing employment” is PREDICATED on a technically precise departure from the “strictly classical” model of the General Theory.
>
>6. A technically precise departure which, for the past 35 years or so, I have referred to as FINAL DEMAND INFLATION – i.e. debt-financed demand for final output – whereby entrepreneurial “profit expectations” are a function of such final demand inflation.

Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)
Recent Activity:
Visit Your Group
The gang8 list is devoted to Creditary Economics.

.