[P2P-F] Fw: Deceased: China's Rare Earth Monopoly

robert searle dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 18:41:20 CEST 2012

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Energy and Capital <eac-eletter at angelnexus.com>
To: dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk
Sent: Tuesday, 27 March 2012, 17:05
Subject: Deceased: China's Rare Earth Monopoly

________________________________
Forward to a Friend
Having trouble viewing this issue? Click here.Refer a Friend to Energy and Capital.
Deceased: China's Rare Earth Monopoly
By Nick Hodge | Tuesday, March 27th, 2012

Last week Molycorp (NYSE: MCP) bought Neo Material (TSX: NEM) for $1.3 billion.
The deal was heralded as a “rare earth game-changer.”
Here's why...
If you remember, China controls more than 90% of the world's supply of rare earth metals critical for production of advanced motors, batteries, weaponry, and electronics.
You can find rare earths in Apple's iPads, Research in Motion's BlackBerrys, Chevy's Volt, Toyota's Prius, and Raytheon's Tomahawk missiles.
Prices for those metals soared in 2010 after China imposed export quotas, and any company calling themselves a rare earth miner climbed hundreds to thousands of percent.
A chart of Molycorp looked like this between its IPO in July 2010 and May of last year:
Then the steep run-up in prices coupled with continued fears of a global economic slowdown caused companies to cut their use of the metals...
Demand plummeted, taking rare earth prices along with it.
>From spring 2011 through last week, Molycorp lost 68% of its share value and $4 billion of its market cap. Most other rare earth companies shared a similar fate.
Demand dippedso low that China only shipped 60% of its export quota last year.
Now lower rare earth prices and an uptick in automotive and electronics sales are starting to revive demand.
But Molycorp still had a problem...
New Discovery Could Soon Hand You Free Electricity
Not long ago, a small tech firm announced the scientific breakthrough of a lifetime. It created an extremely thin "spray on" film, capable of generating electricity on virtually ANY surface.
Before this marvel turns every home in America into its own power plant, click here to see rare footage, detailing the whole story and how it could — very soon — compound your wealth.

________________________________

Light on the Processing
There are two kinds of rare earths: light and heavy.
Last year, about 60% of Molycorp's sales came from light rare earths like lanthanum, cerium, praseodymium, and neodymium.
With control of the 2,220-acre Mountain Pass mine in California that once met nearly all the world's demand for light rare earths, Molycorp needed a way to access the heavy side of the business.
It also needed a way to get into the downstream processing side of the business. Rare earths need lots of refining before they can be used in motors and electronics, and Molycorp didn't have that ability.
Their purchase of Neo Material gives them a bit of both — and shares of both companies surged on the acquisition news.
Reuters called the $1.3 billion deal a “rare earth game-changer” that would make Molycorp a “one-stop rare earth shop,” noting:
The bid for Neo will give it cutting-edge processing technology, expand its product portfolio and provide valuable magnetic alloy patents.
The move could also silence some of the criticism the U.S. company faces for being overly reliant on lower-value light rare earths like cerium and lanthanum.
The deal is strategic for Neo too, which, faced with dropping margins on feedstock costs in China, will gain a secure supply of raw materials.
As Byron Capital Markets noted, “Neo can do more business with Molycorp material than they can begging for Chinese feedstock.”
After the announcement, shares of Molycorp climbed 19% in a day, the most since going public.
Shares of Neo Material climbed 37% after the news.
The deal also sparked rumors that other rare earth acquisitions could be coming — and shares of Rare Element Resources (AMEX: REE) and Quest Rare Minerals (AMEX: QRM) climbed about 20%, while Lynas (PK: NYSCF) ticked up about 10%.
The rare earth industry has been a soap opera for the past two years, creating many new millionaires in the process.
And now, another rare resource battle is brewing that could deliver even more profits...
"Natural Gas can reduce fuel costs as much as 40 percent, based
on gasoline at $3.50 a gallon."
                                                                      — Bloomberg, 3/7/12
Now meet the company that will supply nearly all of this cheap natural gas...
— Click Here —

________________________________

The Next Rare Earth
I want to show you just the first question and answer of a recent interview with Jack Lifton, Senior Fellow at the Institute for the Analysis of Global Security.
Reporter: In the last five years, investors discovered lithium and the rare earths. What will be the next big thing?
Jack Lifton: The answer is graphite. Graphite has traditionally been considered a boring, mundane industrial mineral, evoking thoughts of pencils, golf clubs and tennis racquets. Investors should think again. Traditional demand for graphite in the steel and automotive industries is growing 5% annually, and graphite prices have tripled. New applications such as heat sinks in computers, lithium-ion batteries, fuel cells, and nuclear and solar power are all big users of graphite. These consumers are beginning to place substantial demands on existing production — and over 70% of that production is from China, which is no longer selling this resource cheaply to the rest of the world as the country’s easy-to-mine, near-surface deposits are becoming exhausted.
Graphite’s criticality and potential scarcity has been recognized by both the United States and the European Union, which have each declared graphite a supply-critical mineral. Recently, the British Geological Survey ranked graphite right behind the rare earths and substantially ahead of lithium in terms of supply criticality. Clearly, there is much more to graphite than pencils.
I firmly believe graphite miners are about to experience the thousand-percent run-ups witnessed by rare earth companies over the past few years...
But there's only a handful to choose from, and you need to start staking out your position now.
My latest free report shows you why graphite is the next hot resource — and how you can position yourself to profit from it today.
Take a few minutes to watch it before the rest of the world comes running.
Call it like you see it,
Nick Hodge
@nickchodge on Twitter
Nick is an editor of Energy & Capital and the Investment Director of the thousands-strong stock advisory, Early Advantage. Co-author of the best-selling book Investing in Renewable Energy: Making Money on Green Chip Stocks, his insights have been shared on news programs and in magazines and newspapers around the world. For more on Nick, take a look at his editor's page.

Follow Energy and Capital on
The Bottom Line
Related ArticlesEnergy, Agriculture, Metals All Drifting HigherU.S. New Top Natural Gas DestinationGraphene Is a "Miracle Material"Technological Breakthroughs in Energy
Recently...Energy and Capital's Weekend EditionThe End of Silicon and Invisible MissilesA Shale of a Tale"Miracle Material" BreakthroughsThe Oil Sector that's Quietly Gaining Momentum

Energy and Capital, Copyright © 2012, Angel Publishing LLC, 1012 Morton St, Baltimore, MD 21201. All rights reserved. No statement or expression of opinion, or any other matter herein, directly or indirectly, is an offer or the solicitation of an offer to buy or sell the securities or financial instruments mentioned. While we believe the sources of information to be reliable, we in no way represent or guarantee the accuracy of the statements made herein. Energy and Capital does not provide individual investment counseling, act as an investment advisor, or individually advocate the purchase or sale of any security or investment. Neither the publisher nor the editors are registered investment advisors. Subscribers should not view this publication as offering personalized legal or investment counseling. Investments recommended in this publication should be made only after consulting with your investment advisor and only after reviewing the prospectus or
 financial statements of the company in question. Unauthorized reproduction of this newsletter or its contents by Xerography, facsimile, or any other means is illegal and punishable by law.
Please note: It is not our intention to send email to anyone who doesn't want it. If you're not sure why you're getting this e-letter, or no longer wish to receive it, get more info here, including our privacy policy and information on how to manage your subscription.