[P2P-F] Fw: [gang8] The international monetary system - Quo vadis?

robert searle dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jun 3 15:09:38 CEST 2012

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Hugh Whinfrey <market at svarsmaal.dk>
To: gang8 at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, 3 June 2012, 9:00
Subject: Re: [gang8] The international monetary system - Quo vadis?

>Hugh, would this be treasury-based fiat system plus fractional-reserve credit system for bankers?

OK. This is all coming pretty much off-the-cuff. So I reserve the right to backtrack and change it in the face of feedback :-)

The main idea I was looking at was to dispose of this hybrid system where money creation by fiscal polcy and monetary policy measures respectively negatively interfere with each other.

The private banking sector should get out of the business of dictating to governments and the government should in turn get out of the business of dictating to the private banking sector. So I'm proposing a divorce.

As Arno just posted while I'm writing this, I think it comes down to a 2-currency system being a really good idea. I would call it two classes of currencies though. Government-issued and privately-issued. With some simple rules for the interaction between the two.

The government-issued currency would be the only legal tender for payments to and from the government. The existing tax system would be expanded to a system of accounts in which the users would essentially have checking accounts at the state bank with credit balances from which they could make transfers to other entities having accounts at the state bank.

So one flavour of money would be government-issued money. The general rule here is that the government does not lend money under circumstances that are comptitive with what the private sector can offer. Rather, they spend it into existence. Discipline is enforced by the spending vs. tax revenue tradeoff.

The other flavour of money would be private bank-issued money. Each bank is not only free to issue its own currency, but *must* issue its own currency. There are no government guarantees for any accounts at the private banks. If you want guarantees you have to keep your cash in the state bank. If you want interest you have to keep it in a private bank. Private banks cannot offer accounts in the government currency. They must use their own currency. So we have "Barclay's Britos" and "Citibank Ameros" and so on. When you go shopping you spend what "private brand" of currency that the merchant accepts. Arbitrage opportunities will become an industry in itself. Groups of banks can band together to keep their currencies having identical values.
The point is that if the private banks lend too much or are otherwise mismanaged, discipline is enforced by the value of their currency dropping relative to that of better managed banks. You won't have bank runs, the value will just drop relative to the currencies of other banks.

So,coming back to the original question about reserves. There would be no need for reserves - the private banks could issue all the currency they want to - backed but absolutely nothing. They would live and die by what the market thinks their currency is worth. The smarter banks would of course maintain something to back their currency with to keep its value up. The point though is that the customers of private banks would have to become a bit more educated and proactive about the choices they make. It becomes the consumer's responsibility in that sense.

Hugh