[P2P-F] Fw: [gang8] Quantity Theory of Credit

robert searle dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 31 13:21:35 CEST 2012

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Michael Hudson <michael.hudson at earthlink.net>
To: gang8 at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, 28 July 2012, 14:53
Subject: Re: [gang8] Quantity Theory of Credit

Great, Richard. Just what Sir James Steuart said in 1767. Hume also admitted these points in his correspondence with Oswald and others.
    Michael

On 7/28/12 1:49 AM, "Prof. Richard Werner" <werner at profitfund.com> wrote:

>Sorry, I should have said
>
>Hi Gunnar!
>
>Also, for sake of completion, further elements of my Quantity Theory of Credit:
>
>Distinguish between
>productive credit creation: Cr that is used for investment or productivity enhancement
>consumptive credit creation (Cr used for consumption) and
>speculative credit creation (Cf)
>

>Effect:
>productive credit creation: growth without inflation
>consumptive credit creation: inflation without growth
>speculative credit creation: asset price inflation, always unsustainable; followed by non-performing assets in banking sector (if large enough: banking crisis)
>
>Developing countries should use credit created from domestic banking system (banks plus central bank) to foster growth, and focus on credit for productive use, restrict credit for consumption and for speculative purposes.
>Central banks should use their ‘guidance’ of bank credit to control total credit creation and its efficient allocation.
>Credit guidance is the most successful tool in preventing banking crises and delivering high, non-inflationary growth.
>Developing countries should not borrow from abroad.
>
>Regards,
>Richard

 According to Zarlenga, it is this last definition that is supported by the history and nature of money. Government-controlled money is also postulated to be more stable than credit money or commodity money.
>Coins have been claimed to represent an advance over weighing out precious metals with a fixed amount of precious metal being stamped so they need not be weighed and could be exchanged more conveniently than lumps of metal which needed to be weighed[3] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Monetary_Institute#cite_note-2> . However, Zarlenga emphasises the ratio of gold to silver in ancient coinage, and asserts that the variability in this ratio was crucial to understanding trade in the ancient world, the fall of the Roman Empire, and the drive behind the Crusades.
>
>My reflections and comments.
>
>I.             Three alternative views of money
>
>1. Commodity money – backed 100% by some commodity, e.g. gold or silver.
>
>2. Credit money – makes sense for bankers to control it.
>
>3. Artifact of law money – proper for government to issue and control the money supply.
>
>***
>
>II.           Macroeconomic balance-sheet view of money – Dirk Bezemer
>
>…you need to think about balance sheets – which macroeconomics almost forbids one to do.
>
>Nothing more intricate is involved than the accounting equality that the financial sector’s assets are the real sector’s liabilities.
>
>***
>
>III.          Implications of Macroeconomic balance-sheet view of money
>
>a. Bank credit is part – but not the whole – of the financial sector’s assets.
>
>b. Bank loans are part -  but not the whole – of the real sector’s liabilities.
>
>c. Money supply is part – but not the whole – of the financial sector‘s liabilities.
>
>d. Money supply is part – but not the whole – of the real sector‘s financial assets.
>
>e. All financial sector assets are the non-financial/real sector‘s liabilities.
>
>f. All financial sector liabilities are the non-financial/real sector‘s assets.
>
>***
>
>IV.          Ratio of M2 to GDP in selected countries
>
>United States                   =     83
>France                                =  152
>United Kingdom              =  171
>Netherlands                      =  226
>Japan                                   =  236
>
>See:
>http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/FM.LBL.MQMY.GD.ZS
>
>V.           Comments
>
>To control an economy‘s money supply is not to control the assets/liabilities of its financial/real sectors.
>
>Hence, US Treasury control money over supply would affect only a part of US financial assets/liabilities.
>
>There is no “ideal“ or “normal“ ratio of M2 to GDP.
>
>Hence, there would be no benchmark values of M2/GDP to guide US Treasury control over money supply.
>
>Gunnar

Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
Recent Activity:
Visit Your Group
The gang8 list is devoted to Creditary Economics.

.