[P2P-F] Freicoin - Bitcoin with Demurage (Kevin Flanagan)

Kevin Flanagan kev.flanagan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 08:43:46 CEST 2012

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in replying. First of all I'm not involved with
Freicoin I just posted because I thought it might be of some interest.

I looked into Freicoin in a little more detail at the weekend. It turns out
the demurrage is automatically distributed to coin miners. The reason for
this is to encourage miners to secure the network.

I'm not familiar with Silvio Gesell's work on demurrage. I'm assuming he
intended  the currency to be introduced and managed by a state. This is
very different to Freicoin where there is no state.
Demurrage works differently in these situations.
I can imagine it working if it was implemented as the monopoly currency of
a state.
However as just one of many in a market of currencies I can't think of any
reason other than the political to use freecoin :(  ??

http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/freicoin-bitcoin-with-demurrage/2012/06/30

Regards

Kevin