[P2P-F] Douglas Rushkoff on Getting Past Free Through Radical Abundance

Karl Robillard krobillard at san.rr.com
Mon Jan 30 02:56:30 CET 2012

I just watched Mr. Rushkoff's brief talk about "getting past free" posted on
the P2P blog [1].  His fixation on currency creeps me out.  The FLOSS
methodology exists outside of markets and money (while still being able to
interact with them) and this is why it increases human freedom.  Rather than
being constrained to the current conventional concepts of political economy
which focus on exchange value, we now have the opportunity to re-consider the
advantages of the commons and use value.  He completely ignores this in his
talk and advocates for more variations of exchange value.

Yesterday I came across an article on how the internet is being co-opted by
corporations [2].  This is nothing new to anyone here, but the interesting
part was about the Lauderdale Paradox where I learned of James Maitland and
his book "An Inquiry into the Nature and Origin of Public Wealth and into the
Means and Causes of its Increase" (1804).  In stark contrast to Rushkoff,
Maitland makes it clear that public wealth is diminished when we attach
exchange values to things.

Rushkoff also talks a bit about the lack of creativity in FLOSS and finds the
remix culture to be somehow lacking.  At this point in time I believe that all
new ideas are always just variations on what currently exists (i.e. creativity
is a vague term of idolatry for the act of making specific connections between
existing ideas), so his criticism here seems pointless to me.  He almost seems
to be saying that sharing ideas freely is actually harmful to society.   As
someone who deeply appreciates being empowered by open access to highly
technical knowledge this attitude makes no sense to me.

-Karl

[1] http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/video-of-the-day-douglas-rushkoff-of-getting-
past-free-through-radical-abundance/2012/01/28

[2] http://monthlyreview.org/2011/03/01/the-internets-unholy-marriage-to-
capitalism