[P2P-F] Fw: A Systems Approach to Financial Reform

robert searle dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 24 10:33:31 CET 2012

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: John Fullerton <jfullerton at capitalinstitute.org>
To: Robert Searle <dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, 23 January 2012, 22:45
Subject: A Systems Approach to Financial Reform

To forward this email, click here.

A Systems Approach to Financial Reform
by John Fullerton
I spoke last Thursday at the Congressional Progressive Caucus Policy Summit in Baltimore on how our work at Capital Institute might have relevance to the 2012 Congress’s financial reform agenda. These are the hopes I shared for how policy could shape the Future of Finance:

“Good Afternoon, and thank you for offering me the opportunity to address you on the subject of Financial System Reform. The Glass-Stegall Act was thirty-four pages. Dodd-Frank is 849 pages. And I’m going to talk about what must follow in seven minutes!

You all know the core issues. What I would like to offer is a fresh lens through which to view them.”
Read more at the Future of Finance Blog.
MBA in Sustainability Launch
This week, John Fullerton will be speaking in New York at the Bard College MBA in Sustainability launch event. The Bard MBA will teach future leaders of the public and private sector how to make the business case for sustainability, and Capital Institute is collaborating closely with Bard in developing the program’s finance curriculum. To join us in celebrating the founding of this critical institution RSVP here.
The event will be held on Tuesday, January 24th, 6:30pm, at 434 West 33rd Street. For more information on the event, click here.

________________________________

The Biospheric Reality
John Fullerton recently spoke with filmmaker Katie Teague, creator of the soon-to-be-released documentary “Money & Life,” about the enormity of the challenges we face–climate change, environmental degradation, unsustainable wealth inequity–and the foundational shifts in our economics, politics, and even ethics that we must make in order to weather the coming storm. What We're Reading

In a piece we’ve been discussing recently, Naomi Klein lays out the argument for a new economics to meet the challenges posed by climate change and the destruction of our ecosystem. She reiterates the profound need for the work of groups like the Capital Institute to help find solutions.

Capitalism vs. the Climate

________________________________

Comment of the Week
"Not a day goes by we are not bombarded with servings of pro-growth Kool Aid. Every politician, every pundit, every news anchor, and nearly every journalist and headline writer couches his or her message in terms that assure us growth is obviously beneficial, and is - in fact - the Holy Grail."
-Dave Gardner, Limits to Growth - Forty More Years?

Quote of the Week
 "We have reached a critical point . . . We can . . . see clearly the gulf to which our present path is leading. We must expect the progressive breakdown of the existing structure of contract and instruments of indebtedness, accompanied by the utter discredit of orthodox leadership in finance and government, with what ultimate outcome we cannot predict."
-John Maynard Keynes

To unsubscribe from this email list, click here.
73 Arch Street, 3rd Floor
Greenwich, CT 06830
United States