[P2P-F] Fw: Challenging Financial Journalism. Associate! January 2012

robert searle dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 11 12:38:55 CET 2012

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Associative Economics Bulletin <ame at cfae.biz>
To: dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk
Sent: Tuesday, 10 January 2012, 15:43
Subject: Challenging Financial Journalism. Associate! January 2012

 Is this email not displaying correctly? Click here to view in your browser.

10 Jan, 2012 14:19 Age: 1 hour
Challenging Financial Journalism
Associate! January 2012

Click file link below to read further
From the editorial - Associate! January 2012
Finance refers to the intangible dimension of our economic relationships and arrangements. Objectivity in this realm is not the same as describing physical phenomena because the writer is part of what he reports on. In other words, the narrative chosen by financial journalism does not have its home in sense-perceptible realms. This is why, in the view of some, finance is inextricable from the way it is articulated, its truth shaped by the way it is mediated. In this issue we ask whether financial journalists – insofar as they reiterate the paradigm by which finance is generally explained – do not bear the responsibility of accomplices for the events they report.
In the lead piece, Arthur Edwards reports on a recent conference in the City of London that provided an opportunity for leading financial journalists to do public penance for their self-confessed omissions. One outcome of this event was that some felt that journalists should not influence the events which they report, while others felt that, insofar as finance is ‘performative’, journalists need to see themselves as ‘players’ rather than onlookers.
Restating Don’t blame us for the crash - we just reported the news by Roy Greenslade, Sign of the Time represents the former view.
The feature item on Reflexivity and Representation by Peter Thompson represents the other view. It is an abridged for the lay reader from a much longer tour-de-force technical paper.
Comment considers the role of Associate! in these regards. We describe what we hope is a robust position but welcome readers’ comments.
The AEX Pages include recent postings on the subject of non-bank internet financing, details of an important book that anlayses the thinking, or lack of it, underlying neo-liberalism, and a report on recent associative economic events in Argentina.
Accounting Corner contributes to our theme with a reflection on how accounting also has to consider the way it understands and reports things, in this case profit.

Files:
A__2012_jan_p1.pdf413 K
<- Back to: Stop the Press

 Click here to unsubscribe or edit your subscriptionA service provided by the Centre for Associative Economics Copyright 2011 Centre for Associative Economics. All rights reserved.