[P2P-F] Fw: The Infinite-Planet Approach Won’t Solve the European Debt Crisis

robert searle dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 10 11:29:18 CET 2012

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: John Fullerton <jfullerton at capitalinstitute.org>
To: Robert Searle <dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, 9 January 2012, 22:45
Subject: The Infinite-Planet Approach Won’t Solve the European Debt Crisis

To forward this email, click here.

Guest Post: The Infinite-Planet Approach Won't Solve the European Debt Crisis
by Eric Zencey
[At the beginning of December last year] European leaders met in Brussels and, like sophomores cramming before a final, pulled an all-nighter. Their exam was a real-world project: restore investor confidence in the Eurozone. A lot of pressure was put on David Cameron to bring the UK into the new agreement; he was adamant in his refusal. Even without the UK, the measures that the Eurozone nations have announced may restore investor confidence, but one thing is certain: they shouldn’t, because they’ll fail miserably at staving off future financial crisis.

That’s because “restoring investor confidence” and “fixing the broken system” are two very different goals.
Read more at the Future of Finance Blog.
Diana Propper on Investing in "Next Wave" Companies
In her paper, "Integrated Value--A New Private Equity Model for Driving Value Creation," Diana Propper de Callejon, a General Partner of Expansion Capital Partners LLC and a member of Capital Institute’s Board of Directors, reports on the emerging opportunities for investing in sustainability that her venture capital firm is accessing as it identifies a new generation of private companies that are, from inception, committing to a corporate vision of “continuous improvement in environmental performance and social impact...as a primary driver of innovation and value creation over the long term.” These “next wave” companies, she reports, see this commitment as inextricably linked to their position as industry leaders and as fundamental to their long-term competitive advantage. In an upcoming Profile we will talk with Propper de Callejon about her personal journey from clean tech investor to integrated value investor.
Read more at This Week at Capital Institute.

________________________________

This Week at Capital Institute
Capital Institute will be in attendance at the Investor Summit on Climate Risk and Energy Solutions being held at the United Nations Headquarters in New York this Thursday. The event, organized by Ceres, will address the latest innovations in climate and energy financing, where capital needs to be committed for climate adaptation and energy solutions to flourish, and the financial community’s key role in advancing strong, comprehensive climate and energy policies. Capital Institute looks forward to hearing how we can engage with the work of this critical group of finance professionals. To learn more about the conference visit ceres.org. What We're Reading
In the second edition of America Beyond Capitalism, author Gar Alperovitz’s expert diagnosis of the long-term structural crisis of the American economic and political system is accompanied by detailed, practical answers to the problems we face as a society.

America Beyond Capitalism

________________________________

Comment of the Week
"This analysis is spot on! It deserves much wider dissemination. The endless economic growth model cannot continue, and is already destroying the capacity of the environment to meet current global needs. In fact, much of the financial difficulty we are seeing in "mature" economies like the US, EU and Japan is perhaps already an indication that we are there."
-Bill M, What’s Wrong With the Debt Debate

Quote of the Week
 "To convert the business man into the profiteer is to strike a blow at capitalism, because it destroys the psychological equilibrium which permits the perpetuance of unequal rewards. The businessman is only tolerable so long as his gains can be held to bear some relation to what, roughly and in some sense, his activities have contributed to society."
-John Maynard Keynes

To unsubscribe from this email list, click here.
73 Arch Street, 3rd Floor
Greenwich, CT 06830
United States