[P2P-F] Fw: Urgent: after 3 days on Shell's Arctic-bound rig, activists arrested

robert searle dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 28 18:35:26 CET 2012

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Ben Ayliffe, Greenpeace" <mail at mail.greenpeace.org.uk>
To: dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk
Sent: Monday, 27 February 2012, 14:32
Subject: Urgent: after 3 days on Shell's Arctic-bound rig, activists arrested

Lucy and the team are now off the drill ship, but you can still tell Shell to keep out of the Arctic.

Hi friends
After an epic 77-hour-marathon occupying Shell's Arctic bound drill ship, Lucy, Viv, Ilai, Shai, Ra, Mike and Shayne have all been arrested and forced to come down.
But you can still help. Join more than 140,000 people telling Shell to keep out of the Arctic:
Tell Shell's bosses their oil rigs have no place in Arctic waters
Three days up there bracing themselves against the extreme winds, short on food and water it's been a rough ride for Lucy and the team.
But they've been spurred on by your incredible support - an unprecedented wave of solidarity from around the world calling on Shell to stay out of the Arctic. We know drilling in Arctic waters is madness. The seasonal ice and the remoteness of the region make oil drilling in the area a reckless gamble with the local environment - home to polar bears, narwhals and other vulnerable species. All the independent scientists say a spill would be impossible to clean up.
But to add insult to injury, Shell and others are cashing in on the problem they caused in the first place. The same dirty energy companies that caused the Arctic to warm are now rushing in to make money off the oil under the melting ice.
We have to stop it.
Our brave friends showed what it means to take non-violent action and put your body in the way of environmental harm. But they're not on their own - thousands of you have been taking action with them online. People across the UK have been visiting Shell garages to deliver letters. Lucy's last tweet before being arrested sums it all up:
"Seven of us came up the tower on Shell's drill ship but 4 days later 130,000 will come down. In solidarity we can save the Arctic."
Lucy and the team may be arrested, but that doesn't stop us from taking action.
Let's see if we can make it to 250,000 people calling on Shell to stay out of the Arctic:
Email Shell's bosses now and tell them the Arctic is off-limits
It's been an amazing achievement by the activists on the rig to stop Shell for so long but it's now down to the rest of us to continue the pressure.
Thank you,
Ben Ayliffe
Arctic Campaigner
Forward this email to a friend >>
Share on:     Facebook    Twitter
More Greenpeace goodness on the web
We're also on Facebook, twitter, YouTube and Flickr - come be our friend! You can also find other Greenpeace supporters in your area and help with our campaigns in our Get Active section.

Why have I received this email?
Either because you have signed up for the Greenpeace e-bulletin or a friend has forwarded this onto you.

How do I unsubscribe?
To no longer receive these messages, please click here.

How do I donate?
To help us keep fighting climate change, defending our oceans and protecting ancient forests, you can make a regular donation by direct debit or a single payment by credit card. Thank you!

Where do I send feedback?
For feedback on the e-bulletin or the website, please email webteam.uk at greenpeace.org. If you have any questions about membership, email info.uk at greenpeace.org, quoting your supporter reference number 1790150H.

Greenpeace Ltd, Canonbury Villas, London N1 2PN (registered in London no 1314381, VAT registration no 625951426)