[P2P-F] Fw: Electric Cars Suck...An Investors POV.

robert searle dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 22 16:04:32 CET 2012

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Energy and Capital <eac-eletter at angelnexus.com>
To: dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk
Sent: Wednesday, 22 February 2012, 14:08
Subject: Electric Cars Suck

________________________________
Forward to a Friend
Having trouble viewing this issue? Click here.Refer a Friend to Energy and Capital.
Electric Cars Suck
By Nick Hodge | Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012

I rarely invest in things. I find ideas much more interesting.
And with gas prices about to top $4.00 per gallon, the idea of electric cars is, once again, appealing.
Let's be honest... Electric cars aren't a “thing” yet. They're a niche.
As the Financial Times noted last month:
In their first full year of sales, both Nissan’s Leaf and General Motors’ Chevrolet Volt — the first of a new generation of cars powered by rechargeable batteries —have sold in smaller numbers than the two carmakers expected: about 30,000.
One of the things I've learned in this business is that profits are real whether they come from actual sales or anticipated ones, whether the latter materialize or not.
What I mean by that is when gas prices climb, a logical thought extension is that sales of fuel-efficient vehicles will rise. In the market's equivalent of a gut reaction, stocks related to the production of efficient vehicles will rise.
But let me make this clear: It makes no difference whether or not electric vehicle sales rise.
I don't have a vested interested in electric vehicle sales one way or another.
What I have a vested interest in is making you money. And the money that can be made by playing the market's anticipation is real.
The outcome of that anticipation is irrelevant. Getting ahead of it is key.
By 2015 there will be more than 1.3 million electric cars on the road...

And nearly every one of them will require lithium.
Most of it is expected to come from here:
And there's enough at this one spot to boost the value of
this company's stock by 3,000%. But don't take my word for it...
Click here and see the numbers for yourself!

________________________________

Projected Sales
Here's another piece of that same Financial Times article:
The modest initial sales of EVs are largely a result of the small number of models on the market, which will grow from 2012 as Toyota, Renault, BMW, Daimler, and other manufacturers launch electric or plug-in hybrid cars.
Nevertheless, many analysts, even those who are confident that EVs will be viable long-term alternatives to conventional cars, are cutting their sales forecasts because of slow initial uptake of the first models to come to market.
Adam Jonas, a Morgan Stanley analyst, concluded that EVs were “not ready for prime time”, and reduced his expectation of their market penetration in 2025 to 4.5 per cent, from 8.6 per cent before.
I see the same sentiment elsewhere...
J.D. Power & Associates thinks all-electric vehicles will be less than 1% of U.S. auto sales in 2018. It jumps to 8% when hybrids and plug-in hybrids are included.
For perspective, at 8% market share the electric vehicle industry represents about half of one slice of a large pizza. At 1% it represents a piece of pepperoni.
That's not a mecca or a paradigm shift or a lion's share; it's a decent start.
And it's why a chart of the most widely-tracked lithium fund on the market looked like this from January to December 2011, losing 40% compared to the Dow's flat trajectory.
Anticipating Anticipation
Fast-forward to January of this year: Oil is starting to climb. Gas prices are rising with it.
The low market penetration forecasts for electric vehicles remains unchanged — only now, the market is irrationally expecting higher electric car sales because of higher gas prices.
Take a look at a chart of that same lithium ETF for the first two months of 2012:
What a difference sentiment can make.
I like to think of scenarios like this as an inherent psychological flaw in the market. And I take great pride in being able to exploit them for profit.
That lithium ETF is trading around $17 now, but could run to $20 on a continued rise in gas prices before it runs into resistance...
It could be a nice 18% win just for anticipating anticipation.
What to Expect Next
I know why the market share of electric vehicles has been slow to take off. Even the most ardent EV supporters know in their heart of hearts why consumers aren't yet flocking to battery-powered cars.
Allow me to illustrate this for you via a story I came across on The Motley Fool...
The author and his wife were in the market for a hybrid or electric vehicle. They ended up buying the Volt. But his explanation why is what will deliver the next round of profits from this sector:
Why did we go with the Volt over Nissan's Leaf or save up to splurge on Tesla's Model S sedan that hits the market in July? As a Ford investor — and owner myself — I could've gotten a shareholder discount on the all-electric Focus model that will be coming out in a few months. Why did we pass?
Range anxiety.
All-electric cars are still limited by the range of their lithium-ion batteries. The Leaf has a range of 100 miles on a single charge. Tesla's entry-level Model S tops off at 160 miles, and it will cost drivers $70,000 for the Model S with the upgraded battery to get 300 miles between charges.
It was the fear of taking the car out on a family road trip that nixed the all-electrics from our checklist. Gas stations are plentiful. Electric charging stations are still few and far between.
The only thing that can change that is batteries. And so that's where the next round of innovation — and investment — has to be.
If You Thought the Oil Sands was Big News...
Get ready, because this could be bigger — much bigger.
Like the tar sands, it's also in Alberta... but doesn't have anything to do with oil.
Yet it could make you 744xs your money.
Find out more right here.

________________________________

Lithium-ion batteries will be improved by adding other metals and minerals in various combinations.
Sodium, sulfur, vanadium, zinc, rare earths, and more are all being tested as ways to increase the amount of energy modern batteries can store.
I don't know which technology will win...
But I do know that as the search continues, the market will start to look at battery materials the way it's currently looking at lithium in the wake of high gas prices. It will anticipate higher prices for future battery materials, and related stocks will rise.
That's why when it comes to batteries, I'm betting on metal providers, not technology companies...
And no one has more of these materials than this new mine in Canada.
Adjacent to Alberta's massive oil sands, this mine is over 700,000 acres of black shale. But there isn't oil in this shale...
There are metals — millions of pounds of them: lithium, vanadium, zinc, cobalt, rare earths, and more.
As the market starts to anticipate higher prices for these metals — which it's already starting to do — companies like this are going to fetch a premium.
And the earlier you know about the opportunities, the better.
Call it like you see it,
Nick Hodge
@nickchodge on Twitter
Nick is an editor of Energy & Capital and the Investment Director of the thousands-strong stock advisory, Early Advantage. Co-author of the best-selling book Investing in Renewable Energy: Making Money on Green Chip Stocks, his insights have been shared on news programs and in magazines and newspapers around the world. For more on Nick, take a look at his editor's page.

Related ArticlesNick Hodge's Energy Investments

Massive Mine in Canada

GE Electric Car Opportunity

Energy Investments for 2012

>From the Archives...The Shift in U.S. Oil You Had Better See Coming2012-02-21 - Keith KohlAim to Fund Canadian Natural Gas Projects2012-02-20 - Stephanie GinterBuy GE's $4.3 Billion Trump Card2012-02-20 - Jeff SiegelOther Causes of Groundwater Contamination2012-02-20 - Brianna PanzicaEnergy and Capital's Weekend Edition2012-02-18 - Nick Hodge

Energy and Capital, Copyright © 2012, Angel Publishing LLC, 1012 Morton St, Baltimore, MD 21201. All rights reserved. No statement or expression of opinion, or any other matter herein, directly or indirectly, is an offer or the solicitation of an offer to buy or sell the securities or financial instruments mentioned. While we believe the sources of information to be reliable, we in no way represent or guarantee the accuracy of the statements made herein. Energy and Capital does not provide individual investment counseling, act as an investment advisor, or individually advocate the purchase or sale of any security or investment. Neither the publisher nor the editors are registered investment advisors. Subscribers should not view this publication as offering personalized legal or investment counseling. Investments recommended in this publication should be made only after consulting with your investment advisor and only after reviewing the prospectus or
 financial statements of the company in question. Unauthorized reproduction of this newsletter or its contents by Xerography, facsimile, or any other means is illegal and punishable by law.
Please note: It is not our intention to send email to anyone who doesn't want it. If you're not sure why you're getting this e-letter, or no longer wish to receive it, get more info here, including our privacy policy and information on how to manage your subscription.