[P2P-F] Fw: Population 'our biggest challenge' says chief scientist Sir John Beddington

robert searle dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 16 15:06:32 CET 2012

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: The Ecologist <newsletter at theecologist.org>
To: dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk
Sent: Thursday, 16 February 2012, 13:44
Subject: Population 'our biggest challenge' says chief scientist Sir John Beddington

To ensure delivery of these emails to your inbox, please add newsletter at theecologist.org to your email address book.

This email was sent to dharao4 at yahoo.co.uk by newsletter at theecologist.org.

Click here to view it in your browser    |   Click here to unsubscribe

  16th February, 2011

________________________________

NEWS | GREEN LIVING | INVESTIGATIONS | MAKING A DIFFERENCE | COMMENTS

 Population is 'our biggest challenge' says government chief scientist Sir John Beddington
The next world population milestone of 8 billion will come sooner than we think - perhaps as early as 2025 - yet we remain reluctant to debate the issue. A forthcoming Royal Society report may force us to
read more...

________________________________

 How to...make recycled art
Upcycling is one of 2012’s hottest design trends but you don’t have to stop at furniture. If you’re looking for some decorative inspiration, get to grips with our guide to making your own eco-fabulous art
read more...

________________________________

 Nuclear special Battlelines drawn as Cumbrian residents square up over nuclear waste site
A decision looms on whether - and where - to build the UK's first deep disposal for nuclear waste. Two borough councils in Cumbria have 'volunteered' - but can the communities be convinced? Matilda Lee reports
read more...

________________________________

 Nuclear special New study links childhood leukaemia to nuclear power plant radiation
The UK government's scientific advisory group found no link between childhood leukaemia and proximity to nuclear power plants, but German and French research has found an alarming doubling of risk. Matilda Lee reports
read more...

________________________________

 Nuclear special Fukushima: the social impact of a nuclear disaster
The earthquake and nuclear meltdown in Japan last year compounded pre-existing issues like falling birth rates, fragmented families and shrinking communities. What does the future hold?
read more...

________________________________

 Nuclear special Campaigners say no to nuclear new build at Hinkley Point
Campaign group South-West Against Nuclear want to stop the government's plans for a 'nuclear renaissance' beginning in Hinkley Point in Somerset. Nuclear, activists say, is plagued by problems from beginning to end
read more...

________________________________

 Vote for the 2012 NUS Green Impact Communications Challenge Award
Student Unions from accross the UK have submitted their one minute videos, focusing on climate change in an effort to win this years Communications Challenge Award. Now its up to you to choose our winner
read more...

________________________________

 The Ecologist guide to skills and courses 2012
What does it take to make it in the low-carbon economy? The Ecologist takes a look at the skills and courses that will set you up for success
read more...

________________________________

 Eco cement: the world's favourite building material gets a green-over
Cement manufacturers are among the world’s biggest polluters and produce more emissions per capita than aviation. So how can you ensure that the cement you use isn’t wrecking the planet?
read more...

________________________________

 The Ecologist meets… Ila founder Denise Leicester
Tucked away in leafy Gloucestershire is a beauty brand with a ‘beyond organic’ philosophy that’s making the world sit up and take notice. Ruth Styles hopped on the train and went to meet the inspirational Denise Leicester
read more...

________________________________

 Mayan people battle oil giants as Belize's rainforests threatened
Forest communities are fighting increasing incursions onto their land by US oil companies. Now the Belizean government is seeking to reverse a court ruling preventing them allowing oil exploration, logging or mining. Robin Llewellyn reports from Belize

read more...

________________________________

 Film exposes the tragedy of pirate fishing in Sierra Leone
A new Al Jazeera documentary follows reporter Juliana Ruhfud and producer Orlando von Einsiedel as they investigate Sierra Leone's multi-million dollar illegal fishing trade
read more...

________________________________

> Competition : Win one of five bottles of the Rosa Mosqueta Luxurious Moisturising Lotion from Aubrey Organics
> Competition: win one of three cases of Visionary Soap, worth £44
> Special report Sable shenanigans: how Zambia’s sable population is falling prey to unscrupulous traders
> The hot list: 10 hip and green UK destinations for 2012
> How to... buy ethical chocolate
> The Ecologist February 1972: The value of the ‘underrated’ earthworm

________________________________

follow us on twitter  follow us on facebook  follow us on youtube

 --- advertisements ---

Ecotricity

The generation of conventional, or brown, electricity is responsible for over 30% of our carbon dioxide emissions here in the UK. The biggest thing we can do to slow climate change is to make energy in a different way.

Switch to Ecotricity today and receive a 2 year subscription to the Ecologist worth £50!

One month's FREE home phone and broadband for Ecologist subscribers...

The Phone Co-op have been providing award winning services for over 12 years based on a more ethical and sustainable approach to business. Owned by their customers, they always put you and your values first.

Visit - thephone.coop/ecologist

Call - 0845 458 9040

Quote "Ecologist AFO467" when ordering. If you're not yet a subscriber quote " Ecologist AF413" to receive a £10 credit on your first bill.

Adopt a Turtle

Your support will help the Marine Conservation Society secure a safer future for endangered marine turtles
Get a great adoption pack with a cute cuddly toy and a free marine turtle print.

Adopt today

ECOLOGIST GREEN DIRECTORY

Ashridge

Consistently ranked as a world leader in executive education, Ashridge brings in-depth industry knowledge and experience to the learning environment.

Inlight

'every choice at Inlight is made with wellbeing in mind, from the eco-friendly packaging we use, the carefully selected 100% organic ingredients and absence of any unnatural substance'

Naked Pan

''NakedPan is a range of durable, eco-friendly pans made by Oigen Foundry, located in the North of Japan.  The pans are made from 75% recycled and 25% new cast iron, and are 100% recyclable.'.

Suti

'Suti harnesses the sumptuous vitamin-rich goodness of pure and potent flower extracts. Embracing homeopathy, aromatherapy, crystal healing, flower essences suti will also treat the person within.'

Subscribe to the Ecologist's premium content for £17 and get a free eco book worth up to £17.50.

A subscription to the Ecologist gets you access to our exclusive weekly investigations, full access to our 40-year archive, a printable, monthly newsletter delivered straight to your inbox, and details of subscriber-only special offers on genuinely useful green products.

On top of all that, you'll be helping us continue to provide information on the issues that really matter.

Click here to find out more

The Ecologist Newsletter is published by Ecosystems Ltd, trading as the Ecologist
Company registered in England # 970404
Unit 102, Lana House Studios, 116-118 Commercial St., London E1 6NF
contact: ecosystems at theecologist.org

 unsubscribe   subscribe   forward   update profile