[P2P-F] "Spanish village goes back to peseta"

Dante-Gabryell Monson dante.monson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 10:41:03 CET 2012

Thanks Richard.

This is interesting.

It made me check for Belgium, and indeed, the notes can still be exchanged.
In Belgium it is also possible to exchange old notes, but not old coins.
( http://www.nbb.be/pub/faq/R2Q01.htm?l=fr )

In some other countries, such as Germany or Spain, there is no limit to the
exchange of coins and notes.

Comparison table :

http://www.ecb.int/euro/exchange/html/index.en.html

I imagine this can open up an opportunity in some of these countries
to  encourage people to use their old notes to support through consumption,
or to invest, in localized economics,
eventually community empowered / managed / operated / owned
businesses ( cooperatives ) ?

Apparently, it is estimated at an equivalent of 1,8 Billion Euros, in
pesetas, for Spain.

How much would it be for Germany, or Belgium ?

///

http://www.ecb.int/euro/exchange/html/index.en.html

Some central banks have set a time limit for the exchange of national
banknotes and coinsCountryExchange of banknotes untilExchange of coins until
Belgiumunlimited31 December 2004GermanyunlimitedunlimitedEstoniaunlimited
unlimitedIrelandunlimitedunlimitedGreece1 March 20121 March 2004Spain
unlimitedunlimitedFrance17 February 201217 February 2005Italy6 December 20116
December 2011Cyprus31 December 201731 December 2009Luxembourgunlimited31
December 2004Malta31 January 20181 February 2010The Netherlands (1)1
January 20321 January 2007AustriaunlimitedunlimitedPortugal28 February 202231
December 2002Sloveniaunlimited31 December 2016Slovakiaunlimited31 December
2013Finland29 February 201229 February 2012

(1) De Nederlandsche Bank will not exchange guilders in every case.
Guilders obtained from commercial activities after 27 January 2002 will no
longer be exchanged. For more information, please see the website of  De
Nederlandsche Bank. <http://www.dnb.nl/>