[P2P-F] Senator Kucinich, and the Monetary Reform Bill.........

ideasinc at ee.net ideasinc at ee.net
Mon Sep 26 14:12:44 CEST 2011

I am very familiar with the AMI's proposal. Relative to the MMT approach
the AMI proposal is a half measure, and it relies upon the legislative
process and celebrity politics. I suggested to Stephen Z. at the AMI's
first annual conference the utility of a p2p like process to demonstrate
what a sovereign currency would operate(hence the CRX as a learning
process). He chose to structure local chapters as advocacy groups solely
toward national level legislation for reform. The MMT folks believe that
by the use of reserve accounting as used by the central banks and that
Pres. R. Nixon took the US economy off of the gold standard in 1971 by
executive order, federal level legislation is not required for monetary
reform. I have labored to bring the two perspectives together, and Stephen
seems to regard the MMT people as an opposition to his agenda. I have done
several reviews of pop-level books on monetary economics for the AMI and
have been invited to speak several times by Stephen Z. and continue to
have conversations with him during the year. I believe that the Kucinich
legislation is a worthy effort and doomed at the gate due to massive
economic illiteracy, particularly at the legislative level. My approach is
more on the lines of if the people will lead, the politicians will follow.

as we go, Tadit