[P2P-F] tapr switches to new open license

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Tue Sep 20 16:31:46 CEST 2011

Bryan Bishop <kanzure at gmail.com> Sep 19 03:16PM -0500
^<#13286c313bf5840c_digest_top>

   ---------- Forwarded message ----------
   From: Bruce Perens <bruce at perens.com>
   Date: Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 3:06 PM
   Subject: [OH Updates] TAPR meeting results
   To: updates at lists.openhardwaresummit.org

   We had the TAPR meeting this weekend in Baltimore, after the Summit.

   TAPR will deprecate the Non-Commercial License and will immediately apply
   the Open Hardware License to new work funded by TAPR.

   We had previously used the Non-Commercial License to make sure we would
   recoup the investment in our first production run of the TAPR-funded
   http://openhpsdr.org/ boards. After that sold out, we applied the Open
   Hardware License. History in producing these boards shows that the NCL is
   not necessary to protect our revenue, and nobody ever turns the boards to
   add the OHL statement when it's time to do that. Boards after
   Hermes<http://openhpsdr.org/hermes.php>will include the OHL statement.
   Hermes will include the OHL statement in
   addendum, as the board has already been laid out.

   We had a short discussion of whether we should remove some of the
   requirements in the TAPR Open Hardware License in order to get more
   parties
   to use the TAPR license. This was countered by concern among the
   leadership
   about the rather low standard for "open" in the Open Hardware community
   in
   general right now. They pointed out:

   - Some of the things featured at the Summit don't meet the Open Hardware
   Definition.
   - Some companies that are thought to be leaders in Open Hardware
   predominantly make breakout boards for ICs, with little design investment
   in
   them.
   - A lot of things said to be open just have a PDF for the schematic, no
   modifiable design files, and no gerber files.

   So, the feeling at TAPR is that we should work to raise the standard for
   "open" in the community.

   We're going to invest some funds in promoting the high design investment
   projects which have to a great extent been overlooked.

   Thanks

   Bruce

   - Bryan
   http://heybryan.org/
   1 512 203 0507

   John Griessen <john at industromatic.com> Sep 19 05:19PM -0500
^<#13286c313bf5840c_digest_top>

   On 09/19/2011 03:16 PM, Bryan Bishop forwarded:
   From: Bruce Perens <bruce at perens.com>
   Date: Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 3:06 PM
   > investment in them.
   > * A lot of things said to be open just have a PDF for the schematic, no
   modifiable design files, and no gerber files.

   > So, the feeling at TAPR is that we should work to raise the standard
   for "open" in the community.

   I thought the same thing. It's good to hear this.