[P2P-F] non-aligned or re-aligned intelligentsia

Devin Balkind devin at sarapisfoundation.org
Mon Sep 19 21:00:33 CEST 2011

Blast from the past...

I think your hunch is correct and that a solidarity among
p2p/free/libre/open advocates is extremely important and needed right now.
There's certainly a set of policies and approaches we can all agree on, even
if the local manifestations of our politics differ.

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 8:31 AM, Michel Bauwens <michel at p2pfoundation.net>wrote:

> I wrote this in a private email, but what do you think of this hunch:
>
> generally speaking, the concept of non-aligned intelligentsia could somehow
> apply to people like myself ... or the p2p foundation and similar groups as
> a new type of platform-based 'collective intellectuals'
>
> people on those platforms come from different political directions, yet
> somehow find a common ground in being both critical of mainstream
> capitalism, but also against a too collectivist tradition as perceived in
> the left ... (and yet we are not anarchist either ...)
>
> for example, what makes me (and others) able to have a dialogue between a
> postmodern anarcist, a conservative social-christian distributist, a
> progressive Mormon 'Zionic' social economy advocate and still many other
> tendencies ...
>
> what makes the indignados so effective, yet at the same time rejecting any
> associations with unions and labour, and what about the pirate party and
> anonymous ...
>
> food for thought, I think there is a new kind of alignment around some kind
> of shared cooperative individualism that is both distinguishable from
> neoliberal atomistic individualism and state-centered collectivism ...

Devin Balkind
Director, Sarapis Foundation
devin at sarapisfoundation.org
@devinbalkind