[P2P-F] Moebius Noodles: a crowd-funded, open educational resource for young math

Maria Droujkova droujkova at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 01:46:42 CEST 2011

I thought people here might be interested in this project. It is a join
effort by several communities: Math Future (connected with P2PU), Natural
Math, and other math groups.

We are building a Creative Commons book and support site for parents who
want to enjoy math with their young kids. We need to raise $6200 in a week
to launch the project, and we are doing it with the support of people like
you, with the crowd-funding site http://tippingbucket.org/

The project, starting with the book, will build a community providing
peer-to-peer support for parents in ways not currently available elsewhere.
>From responses from our pilot tests with local math clubs and online parent
classes, we expect users of Moebius Noodles to significantly change their
approach to early education and their very definition of what mathematics
means. We start with the existing parents’ needs and wishes which we have
studied and analyzed. We address those, but take them to the next level of
mathematical sophistication.

*Please contribute to the Moebius Noodles fundraising campaign, and spread
the word on your blogs and sites about helping to create open and free
materials for the youngest mathematicians! <http://tippingbucket.org/>*

Why are we doing it and why do you care?

   1. There are very few materials and no community support for smart math
   for babies and toddlers. Just try to find anything that is not about
   counting or simple shapes! Mathy parents create opportunities for their own
   kids, of course. But without support and resources, it’s very hard even for
   the rocket scientist mothers and fathers. We want to change that!
   2. Peer-to-peer learning, research and development groups in mathematics
   education need a process for crowd-funding their projects. We are the
   trailblazers for other fabulous communities that want to make open and free
   math materials with the support of their members, such as the group
   developing materials for learning mathematics through music, the play math
   network, and the math circle problem-solving depository project.
   3. We are creating OERs – Open Educational Materials. It means people can
   access, use, modify and share the materials for free. Imagine the project
   you support translated into any language in the world, and used freely to
   support young kids everywhere!
   4. The activities are sustainable in many senses. You can use everyday
   household items and recycle materials for Moebius Noodles games.
   5. If you are a parent or teacher who loves arts and crafts but is afraid
   of math, the book will help you teach your kids mathematics through your
   talents. If you are a math or science geek who envies other families always
   doing neat art projects, the arts-math bridge in the book goes both ways!

*Secret Rewards (not shown on the site)
*

*Pledge $5 or more – Point.* You will be recognized as an official SUPPORTER
on our site, PLUS you will receive a limited-edition hand-numbered Moebius
Noodles thank-you card with your very own Fibonacci number.

*Pledge $13 or more – Interval.* You will be recognized as an official MATH
MAKER on our site, receive a Moebius Noodles card, PLUS a PDF copy of the
book, PLUS participant access to our online support community.

*Pledge $34 or more – Square.* All of the above, PLUS one souvenir page of
notes taken down during our brainstorming and planning sessions, PLUS a
printed copy of the book.

*Pledge $89 or more – Cube. * All of the above, PLUS you can put a two-line
dedication by one of the games or stories in the book, with your family
name(s) and a brief message to the world.

*Pledge $233 or more – Tesseract.* You will be recognized as an official
PATRON OF MATH MAKERS on our site, PLUS receive one PDF copy and two printed
copies of the book, PLUS a secret message with your or your child’s name
will be an example in one of the games, PLUS you will get behind-the-scenes
access to our work to observe, in detail, the process of making the book.
*
Pledge $610 or more – Infinite-Dimensional Space Master.* Everything
included in the Tesseract level, PLUS you will have the power to influence
the contents, look and feel of the book, PLUS the authors will design a
custom math activity around your child’s interests, name it after your child
and include it in the book.

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova
919-388-1721
http://www.naturalmath.com/blog/moebius-noodles-fundraiser/
Make math your own, to make your own math