[P2P-F] Fwd: is there no p2p spirituality because there is no spirituality

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Mon Sep 12 06:13:07 CEST 2011

Isn't a world like "love" loaded with contradictory and unclear meanings,
but does that mean we have to reject it. I think Amaia puts it well, it's
about the relation with what surpasses us as human ego's, what I have called
before our relation with "all that is". I'm a  monophysicist pretty much
myself, i.e. there is only one reality, one 'stuff', and the supernatural
means, "even more natural" or super-nature ... However, I suspend my
disbelief into the extent of that 'nature', and accept that there are man
things we don't know, many things that may overturn our current
understanding. We need the eye of matter to understand our natural world,
the eye of the mind to understand each other and human culture, and the eye
of the spirit to understand the numinous experiences that are beyond
language.

Richard, you say all is interconnected and that is science, and I agree, but
don't you see the 'sea' of difference between understanding that mentally,
and on the other hand, to experience this directly, mystically, gnostically?
We can say that "all is part of life", but again, isn't there a sea of
difference between understanding this mentally, i.e. still separately as a
watching and conversing mind, and/or to experience this directly, as a
shaman might. We can either decide, if we do not experience this directly,
to be a 'hoax', or we can accept that there is a real experience there,
there is a 'there' there. Now, we always can return to the eye of the mind,
i.e. "what does it all mean, for us", and we can return to the eye of
matter, what is really the material "there" that is there, and as  you know,
we know have at least 30 years of investigating the physical correlates of
such experiences, and we now know that they are effectively there. But, this
is crucial, just as we cannot reduce the 'meaning' of skakespeare by the
physical qualities of the ink on paper, or the brainwaves of the author or
reader, similarly, we can not reduce the experience of Tibetan monks, to
just the physical correlates that can be shown to occur in their brains.
Hence the dialogue is always between those three levels, that of
understanding material laws, that of understanding human meaning, and that
of experiencing directly the transformative power of spiritual experiences.
That doesn't require anyone to believe anything said by such experiencer,
but only, if we want, to follow the injunctions that may lead to those
occuring in us as well. There is no obligation, but in my mind, there should
also not be a rejection. To repeat, the secular world does not offer
anything remotely similar to such experiences of the human bodymind, but
have occured repeatedly throughout the ages to those who are willing to
following such trainings and injunctions. Apart from the rejection of the
semantics of the concept of spirit and spirituality, it is now a historical
time to go beyond the rejection of 19th century rationalism against anything
that is not purely 'rational', to a time of integration and dialogue between
the various levels of the human being.

Two definitions below,
Definition by Jorge Ferrer

*As defined by Jorge Ferrer*: *Spiritual knowing is a participatory process.
What do I mean by "participatory"? First, "participatory" alludes to the
fact that spiritual knowing is not objective, neutral, or merely
cognitive.*On the contrary, spiritual knowing engages us in a
connected, often
passionate, activity that can involve not only the opening of the mind, but
also of the body, the heart, and the soul. Although particular spiritual
events may involve only certain dimensions of our nature, all of them can
potentially come into play in the act of spiritual knowing, from somatic
transfiguration to the awakening of the heart, from erotic communion to
visionary co-creation, and from contemplative knowing to moral insight, to
mention only a few (see also Ferrer, 2000a, 2002).

*Second, the participatory nature of spiritual knowing refers to the role
that our individual consciousness plays during most spiritual and
transpersonal events. This relation is not one of appropriation, possession,
or passive representation of knowledge, but of communion and co-creative
participation.*

*Finally, "participatory" also refers to the fundamental ontological
predicament of human beings in relation to spiritual energies and realities.
Human beings are - whether we know it or not - always participating in the
self-disclosure of Spirit.* This participatory predicament is not only the
ontological foundation of the other forms of participation, but also the
epistemic anchor of spiritual knowledge claims and the moral source of
responsible action.

Spiritual phenomena involve participatory ways of knowing that are
presential, enactive, and transformative:

1. Spiritual knowing is presential: Spiritual knowing is knowing by presence
or by identity. In other words, in most spiritual events, knowing occurs by
virtue of being. Spiritual knowing can be lived as the emergence of an
embodied presence pregnant with meaning that transforms both self and world.
Subject and object, knowing and being, epistemology and ontology are brought
together in the very act of spiritual knowing.

2. Spiritual knowing is enactive: Following the groundbreaking work of
Varela, Thompson, and Rosch (1991), my understanding of spiritual knowing
embraces an enactive paradigm of cognition: Spiritual knowing is not a
mental representation of pregiven, independent spiritual objects, but an
enaction, the bringing forth of a world or domain of distinctions co-created
by the different elements involved in the participatory event. Some central
elements of spiritual participatory events include individual intentions and
dispositions; cultural, religious, and historical horizons; archetypal and
subtle energies; and, most importantly, a dynamic and indeterminate
spiritual power of inexhaustible creativity.

3. Spiritual knowing is transformative: Participatory knowing is
transformative at least in the following two senses. First, the
participation in a spiritual event brings forth the transformation of self
and world. Second, a transformation of self is usually necessary to be able
to participate in spiritual knowing, and this knowing, in turn, draws forth
the self through its transformative process in order to make possible this
participation. (
http://www.datadiwan.de/SciMedNet/library/articlesN81+/N83Ferrer_part.htm)

 [edit<http://p2pfoundation.net/Participatory_Spirituality?title=Participatory_Spirituality&action=edit&section=4>
] Definition by John Heron

"The parties involved in a co-creative, enactive, transformative relation
reciprocally and dynamically shape and reshape - in and through the process
of meeting – how they understand each other, the regard they have for each
other, and how they act and interact in relation with each other.

This definition is framed to apply to the central person-to-person
relations. It can, with appropriate modifications, be applied to relations
between ways of knowing, to relations between persons and their worlds, and,
including and transcending all these, to the relation between persons and
the divine.

Person-to-person relations are central because they are a precondition for
setting the scene for divine self-disclosure and for persons to participate
in it. In previous epochs this precondition was met by teacher-disciple
hierarchical relations. Today divine self-disclosure can manifest through
person-to-person peer relations, serviced from time to time by temporary
hierarchical initiatives rotating among the peers.

Person-to-person *peer* relations are central, in my view, because of the
intimate relation between epistemic participation and political
participation. Epistemic participation is about the participative relation
between the knower and the known. Political participation in this context is
to do with participative decision-making among those involved about how we
know and what we know. If participative knowing between persons is
consummated in fully reciprocal encounter, then co-operative
decision-making, both about how to engage in such reciprocal knowing and
about what it reveals, is necessary for authentic interpersonal knowing -
the realm of the *between* where divine self-disclosure can manifest."

*Spiritual practice: A primary ground for the practice of
participatory-relational spirituality can be cultivated by collaborative
peer-to-peer relations between persons engaged in fully embodied,
multidimensional, transformative flourishing in and with their worlds.* See
[1] <http://www.human-inquiry.com/igroup0.htm>

[...]

Subject and object, knowing and being, epistemology and ontology are brought