[P2P-F] (an appeal to better understand the) Institutional ecology of open hardware

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Sun Sep 11 11:06:48 CEST 2011

Dear friends,

Over the years it has been fairly easy to find material on the institutional
set-up of free software and open content production, which usually combines
a community with commons, a for-benefit association, and a enterpreneurial
coalition as very common and identifiable structure

However, even though I have watched the open hardware field, and there is
some material on its business models (
http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Business_Models), I feel there is a real
dearth of material on the institutional setups ..

So, we know there are productive communities and firms, but what about the
equivalent of FLOSS Foundations?

Thanks for any light that you as insiders can shed on this,

Michel Bauwens