[P2P-F] Fwd: ContactCon September Update

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Sat Sep 10 08:41:44 CEST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Douglas Rushkoff <info at contactcon.com>
Date: Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 1:30 AM
Subject: Contact September Update
To: Michel <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>

**
     September Contact News
  Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your
browser<http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=eb70abd2409c125993e4ad46c&id=ced75449b6&e=be9ef15c93>.

              Greetings WorldChangers!

 Contact is just around the corner (October 20), and I wanted to take a
moment to frame the day and answer some of the questions that have been
coming in. The flow and purpose of the whole day is described on the Contact
website here<http://pivotcon.us1.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=eb70abd2409c125993e4ad46c&id=e4ddb2f362&e=be9ef15c93>
.

The day will have two main components:

   1. A "collaboratory" of attendee-conceived and moderated conversations.
   2. The Bazaar - a two-hour midday festival of demos.

 We'll precede (and occasionally interrupt) all this with short
"provocations" from selected featured participants.

Both the Collaboratory and and Bazaar are planned to produce results. The
Collaboratory will be organized around the framing question, *What concrete
steps can we take to realize a true potential of the networked era?* In the
opening session, I will pose that question, and ask individual attendees to
propose ideas, answers, projects - however half-baked. Whoever has an idea
will explain it in a sentence or two to the whole group, and then pick a
place and time to hold a session about it. There will be three time slots
for sessions, and about twenty spaces in which to convene them. This means
up to twenty different sessions may be occurring simultaneously around the
space.

Once a couple of dozen sessions have been announced, we'll start the first
scheduled round of sessions. People choose which session they want to
attend, and can move from one session to the other if they feel like it.
Each session will pick a moderator and a reporter. The reporter will post
the results of the meeting to the Contact BBS. Each session becomes a new
topic header, and can form the basis of an ongoing discussion.

We'll come together a couple of times during the day to assess progress,
convene additional sessions, and make adjustments. At the last of those
meetings, we'll review some of the day's highlights and pick the three or
four initiatives that we really want to followup on immediately. Then we'll
conduct final sessions for each of those initiatives to discuss next steps.
(Those ideas will also have the opportunity for special placement on
Indiegogo, if they choose to take advantage of that fundraising route.)

Meanwhile, the Bazaar and lunch will take place midday, for about two hours.
The Bazaar will be set up something like a science fair, with all demo
stations operating simultaneously and attendees moving freely from station
to station. Any attendee may sign up for free space at the Bazaar, and also
has the option to enter the Bazaar Awards - now sponsored by Pepsi - for the
chance to win one of three $10,000 prizes.

I will be selecting a panel of judges based on how many projects have
applied for the Bazaar Awards. They will be looking for the most compelling
and achievable ideas, at any stage of their development from raw idea to
fully released and functional technology. It can be anything from software
to a cafe, an art installation to a communications infrastructure, a
suitcase technology to a plan for a local satellite launch. Anything that
you feel helps realize the underlying potential of the networked era. We've
chosen not to limit the criteria more than this, because we don't want to
impose a top-down agenda on nascent, bottom-up ideas.

The awards will be announced at the close of the day.

We are currently have some discussions about Contact on a
Googlegroup<http://pivotcon.us1.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=eb70abd2409c125993e4ad46c&id=f4efacc8bc&e=be9ef15c93>
*.  *You are all welcome to join in. We are also opening up the Contact
forums<http://pivotcon.us1.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=eb70abd2409c125993e4ad46c&id=7507addddb&e=be9ef15c93>
right
now, for people interested in discussing ideas or networking in advance.
These forums are also where our Collaboratory sessions will be recorded on
the day of Contact, and where Contact MeetupEverywhere participants can also
post the results of their own meetings. The Contact Forums will be
maintained after the event, as well, for ongoing discussions, networking,
and project development.

The Google Groups and Forums will be the best place to do any organizing and
introducing you might want to do in advance. People are also coming to those
spaces to announce additional opportunities for networking.

As always, there is plenty more information under the About menu at
contactcon.com<http://pivotcon.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=eb70abd2409c125993e4ad46c&id=833723cb62&e=be9ef15c93>including
the day's schedule, housing options, Bazaar registration,
opportunities for sponsorship and for volunteering, and so on. The doors
open at 7:30am, and the program begins at 9am.

The address for Angel Orensanz is 172 Norfolk St., Manhattan.
<http://pivotcon.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=eb70abd2409c125993e4ad46c&id=073f4db5f3&e=be9ef15c93>

More soon,

Douglas
          follow on