[P2P-F] On capitalist and anti-capitalist commons

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Fri Sep 2 17:02:35 CEST 2011

Hi George,

I already serialized this interesting essay on the p2p blog a while ago,

yet, I wonder what your take is on it?

My take is that it partakes in a zero-sum vision of the commons, with only 2
polarities, while in my view, there are a lot of messy commons that can be
both beneficial to commoners, but also still embedded within capitalism. The
free software commons is a case in point. Is it bad because it partakes in
capital accumulation?

My own attitude is not to demonize this fact, but rather to look at how the
free software commons can be rendered more autonomous and freeer from this
embedment .. (such as our proposal to combine phyles and the peer production
license in the p2p coop)

I'm really curious on your take,

Michel