[P2P-F] Occupy Student Debt

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 15:22:35 CET 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 9:44 AM, Douglas Rushkoff <rushkoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is great.
> I hope people go to the other sites for proposals on ways out.

For student debt, there are 2 culprits here:

1. The private finance companies and the federal government who are
overcharging, or charging people for debt on education not delivered.

2. The schools themselves who are at this point bilking people out of
huge amounts of money by clearly not giving them the skills they would
need to take advantage of the market as it is now (not as it was 30-40
years ago. Or even worse, a training for someone's fantasy about how
things should be, but are not).

In some cases, the debts are still held by the schools, in some cases
government, in some cases finance companies/banks. In all cases, a
political action such as a strike could target demanding all 3 waive
some or all of existing student debt.

Equally as important would be a way for students and people in
communities to provide an alternate financing route for education.
This alternative financing route could offer a plurality of assistance
for students (food, energy, perhaps even some forms of health care) by
means other than just loaning money. Assistance should be contingent
on a thorough review of the school itself, and that it is providing an
appropriate education at a reasonable price. There should be a good
chance that students would be able to do more than just get a "job"
(at any level) with this education. Non-traditional university
education routes should hold equal footing with existing universities
in this alternate education assistance system. Whatever the education
source, it should be judged mostly on it's capacity to serve students
by helping them learn to provide for themselves and bootstrap and
build new infrastructure (manufacturing and technology, food, energy,
scientific research, humanities, social sciences, etc) that can help
others coming along do the same.

> On Oct 30, 2011, at 10:00 PM, Eric Sanders wrote:
>
> Check this out!
> http://occupystudentdebt.com/
> Best,
> Eric