[P2P-F] Fwd: Newsletter flom thomas gleco, Fall 2011

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Sat Oct 22 19:25:01 CEST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Thomas Greco <thg at mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 12:47 PM
Subject: Newsletter, Fall 2011
To: thg at mindspring.com

 *Newsletter, Fall 2011*

** **

*Update *

** **

Hi all, ****

As you know, I've been residing in Thailand since the middle of June, but
I’m sensing a call to get to where the action is, and right now that seems
to be North America. So, I’ll be returning to the U.S. on October 28. ****

** **

First on my agenda is to collect my mail and gather some warm clothing from
my storage unit in Tucson, then I’ll head for Michigan to participate in the
*International Conference on Sustainability, Transition and Culture Change*,
near Traverse City, Thursday, Nov. 10 - Monday, Nov. 14, 2011 at the Shanty
Creek Resorts, Bellaire, Michigan.
http://sustainabilityconference.org/index.htm.****

** **

That conference could be the initiating event for an ongoing process of
design, strategy planning, and implementation of alternative systems,
especially systems of exchange and finance. I’m encouraging all who are able
to attend and to pass the word to your networks. Notable participates will
be Australian economist Steve Keen and Nicole Foss of Automatic
Earth<http://theautomaticearth.blogspot.com/>
.****

** **

Over the coming weeks or months I’ll be available and open to invitations to
speak, confer, and collaborate. You can view/hear many of my presentations
and interviews by going to my website, Beyond Money: http://beyondmoney.net.
Some of my most notable recent presentations are on my Vimeo site:
http://vimeo.com/tomazg/videos****

** **

I've been watching with great interest the OWS movement and am encouraged to
see that so many people are no longer willing to tolerate the status quo.
I've posted a few items about it recently on http://beyondmoney.net. This
may be the surge that begins the kind of real change that people have been
looking for. ****

Demonstrations and other expressions of discontent can help to inspire
people and encourage them to act, but that energy must be applied in ways
that can effect real change. I'm generally optimistic about the prospects
for a successful metamorphic change in civilization, but it will require us
to learn radical ways of *sharing*, *cooperation*, and *organization*.

If we are to make the necessary *shift of power* away from Wall Street and
Washington, we will need to reduce our dependence upon *their* systems and
structures (like political money and banks) and organize new structures that
empower people. Let’s work together to provide the direction this movement
needs.****

** **

*Just Released*

** **

Pertinent to that is the release a new book from EVOLVER EDITIONS/North
Atlantic Books. Edited by Daniel Pinchbeck and Ken Jordan, and titled, *What
Comes After Money: Essays from Reality Sandwich on Transforming Currency &
Commerce*<http://www.realitysandwich.com/sites/realitysandwich.civicactions.net/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=11707&qid=3129769>,
this anthology includes “thoughtful, provocative essays from economist
Bernard Leitaer, media theorist Douglas Rushkoff, Sacred Economics author
Charles Eisenstein, musician Paul D. Miller (a.k.a. DJ Spooky), theoretical
physicist Amit Goswami, Larry Harvey (founder of Burning Man), alternative
historian Peter Lamborn Wilson,” and yours truly, Thomas Greco. My essay is
titled, *Local Control of Credit: The Foundation of Economic Democracy* (p.
191)*.*****

** **

In his introduction to the book, Daniel talks about the emergence of a
conscious culture to challenge Wall Street's consumerist paradigm. You can
read it here: http://www.realitysandwich.com/impossible_alternative<http://www.realitysandwich.com/sites/realitysandwich.civicactions.net/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=11702&qid=3129769>.
More information about the book can be found at
Amazon.com<http://www.amazon.com/What-Comes-After-Money-Transforming/dp/1583943498/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319073348&sr=1-1>,
which is offering the book at a discounted price. ****

** **

*Thailand Floods*

* *

Many people have been asking about the flooding in Thailand that has been
widely reported in the news. Monsoon rains are normal for this part of the
world, but this has been one of the rainiest years on record. A large amount
of farmland has been inundated and some crops destroyed, but the biggest
problems are in the urban and industrial areas that are built along the
major rivers. As is the case everywhere, land is quite valuable in such
areas and attempts are made to fill in marshland and restrict waterways to
narrow channels. Nature has no regard for such activities. One of the worst
effects of flooding is the increase in illnesses from water-borne microbes
as floodwater is contaminated with sewage, which can also cause food
supplies to be contaminated. ****

** **

Fortunately, Chiang Mai, where I spend most of my time, experienced only a
small amount of flooding along the Ping River for a few days a couple weeks
ago, but fresh food markets in that area had water standing a foot or two
deep, which might have caused some bacterial transfer to food supplies here.
There are reports of increased numbers of people visiting emergency clinics
and I myself was sick for a while with what seemed like a bad head cold and
respiratory congestion. I don’t know if that was flood related but whatever
the case I’m better now. ****

** **

The main problems seem now to be in the south around Bangkok and Ayutthaya
where severe flooding continues and has affected a great many people, plus
manufacturing facilities, so you may feel some effect as well. Here’s an
excerpt from some news reports about that: ****

** **

*Disk manufacturing sites in Thailand -- notably including the largest
Western Digital plant -- were shut down due to floods around Bangkok last
week and are expected to remain shut for at least several more days. The end
to flooding is not in sight, and Western Digital now says it could take five
to eight months to bring its plants back online. Thailand is a major
manufacturer of hard drives, and the shutdowns have reduced the industry's
output by 25 percent. *****

** **

And..****

** **

*Inner Bangkok has so far escaped major flooding as the authorities divert
water to areas outside the main capital in a bid to prevent the Chao Phraya
River bursting its banks and flooding the political and economic heartland.

But efforts to keep the city of 12 million people dry have been complicated
by a seasonal high tide.*

Read more here:
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/506532-thai-pm-says-floods-in-parts-of-bangkok-inevitable/
****

** **

The airports seem to be OK for now—if the dikes hold. I fly out of Bangkok
next week.****

** **

Cheers,****

** **

Thomas H. Greco, Jr.thg at mindspring.com
Mobile phone (Thailand): +66 84 373 5645
Mobile phone (USA): 520-820-0575
Beyond Money: http://beyondmoney.net
Tom's News and Views: http://tomazgreco.wordpress.com
Archive Website: http://www.Reinventingmoney.com
Photo gallery: http://picasaweb.google.com/tomazhg
Skype/Twitter name: tomazgreco
My latest book, "The End of Money and the Future of Civilization"
can be ordered from Chelsea Green Publishing, Amazon.com, or your
local bookshop.