[P2P-F] Libertarians

Sandwichman lumpoflabor at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 21:45:26 CEST 2011

What an incredibly odd argument to encounter on a P2P list concerned with
reclaiming the commons! No one "owned" the commons in England, either. The
common people had RIGHTS, guaranteed by the Charter of the Forest, the
companion document to the Magna Carta. The enclosures of the commons usurped
those traditional and legally ratified rights.

"The law locks up the man or woman. Who *steals* the *goose* from off the *
common*. But leaves the greater villain loose. Who *steals the common* from
off the *goose*."

May I recommend a couple of books by Peter Linebaugh?:"The Magna Carta
Manifesto: Liberties and Commons for All" and "The Many-Headed Hydra:
Sailors, Slaves, and the *Atlantic* Working Class"

To say that the aboriginal people of the Western Hemisphere didn't "own" the
land is as relevant as saying they didn't read English or worship Jesus
Christ as their savior. Europeans stole the land by imposing their own
peculiar property regime, along with the metaphysics that viewed such
peculiarity as both natural and universal.

The Europeans had better weapons. And since no one "owned" all that

--
Sandwichman