[P2P-F] a reminder about ron paul

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 07:27:43 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Natalie Golovin <10natalie at cox.net> wrote:
> Maybe post less & read more. Start with the most recent “Reckless
> Endangerment” by Gretchen Morgenson & Joshua Rosner-experts in financial
> journalism not right wingnuts. There you’ll trace through the Affordable
> Housing story.
> Irag/Afghan Vets give more money to RP than all other candidates combined.
> As 2 immigration-RP is in line with the overall view of average
> Americans-the ones demanding “Democracy Now.” I don’t think left elites
> really want democracy.

I don't think Paul would compromise human rights based on a democratic
majority in any other area of policy.  Suppose a majority of average
Americans favored the Drug War?

A majority has no rightful authority to use the state to exclude
people from the territory of  the United States, when there is vacant
land to be homesteaded, any more than a majority of people on a
suburban block have a right to prevent outsiders from moving into a
house that doesn't belong to them.  The people of the United States,
or its government either, don't collectively own vacant land or have a
right to exclude people from homesteading it.

The central principles of libertarianism are non-aggression, and that
no group of people -- including a state -- can rightfully exercise
powers beyond the rightfull authority of an individual to delegate.
And no voluntary grouping of individuals has a right to fence off a
territory.

As a practical matter, a border is a mathematical line on a map.
There's no way it can be militarized or policed without a substantial
degree of militarism and uniformed thuggery on the actual territory of
the United States.  And unless anti-immigration policy aims to have
only the border itself as a single point of failure, it must be backed
up by police statism in depth like "papers, please" laws and mandatory
national IDs for employment.
--
Kevin Carson
Research Associate, Center for a Stateless Society http://c4ss.org