[P2P-F] P2P-Foundation Digest, Vol 10, Issue 38

Nicholas Roberts nicholas at themediasociety.org
Sun Oct 9 22:55:33 CEST 2011

hi michel

this is my commentary below, and I've done a little collation
http://permaculture.tv/u-s-occupy-movement-grows-as-protests-reported-in-847-cities/

there is a place for spontaneous, self-organizing, bottom-up organizing, and
these occupations are a space for democracy, something that most people
really never experience (voting is very different to consensus or
participation-based democracy)

the Adam Curtis documentaries, and much of the critique here in the US, has
been of the "what is the single demand", or "they are so disorganized" which
is confusing the public relations media campaign with the democratic
assembly.. actually, my own experience of these types of events has its been
extremely efficient, far more efficient than government or large corporate
technocracies ... however, I do agree with Curtis, after the mobilization,
the assembly, there needs to be a kind of organization that sustains and
continues once the passions have dissipated and its back to the hard slog of
routine day-to-day work, activism etc

as to the self-sustaining peer-to-peer production, I agree with Michel, its
nearly always being subsidized by state-capitalism, and is almost never
internally self-supporting. There is a proposal in the Drupal community for
a Drupal worker cooperative, also we discussed it really briefly with Prof
Fred Freundlich at Mondragon University, i.e. New Economy worker coops, i.e.
why are open source projects only ever corporation sponsored communities ?

--
Nicholas Roberts
US 510-684-8264

* <in fact all peer production projects *are* self-sustaining. That