[P2P-F] occupywallstreet and obama

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Tue Oct 4 10:46:37 CEST 2011

*Anonymous: ‘Occupy Wall Street’ Now in 30 U.S.
Cities*<http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/10/03/anonymous-occupy-wall-street-now-in-30-u-s-cities>
STEPHEN C. WEBSTER, Senior Editor - The Raw Story
*I am not convinced yet that the 99er movement will find traction, however
the trend seems to be moving in that direction. If, in the 13 months leading
up to the election, a Viet Nam era-like civilian nonviolent action movement
arises in this country the entire election dynamics will change.*
In a brief video published to YouTube this week, a masked member of
hacktivist group 'Anonymous” claimed the '99 percent” movement behind
'Occupy Wall Street” has now spread to 30 U.S. cities ahead of a series of
nation-wide actions.

'Everyone, everywhere, will be occupying their towns, their capitals and
other public spaces,” the protester said. 'Already we have made tremendous
progress. In just a little over a week, ‘Occupy’ initiatives have sprung up
in over 30 U.S. cities.

'This is now bigger than you, or me. It is about us, a collective 99 percent
that will no longer stand for the corruption, greed and inequality that is
rampant in our governing bodies.”

Federal authorities warned this week that 'Anonymous,” which has encouraged
the protests but does not represent them, will likely use the protests as a
motivation for continued cyber attacks on targets seen as antagonistic to
the cause.

The Department of Homeland Security said in a prepared statements that
Anonymous 'will continue to exploit vulnerable publicly available web
servers, computer networks and other digital information mediums for the
foreseeable future.”

In an opposing statement, Occupy Wall Street spokesman Patrick Burener told
News Corp. paper The New York Post that the hackers stand 'in solidarity
with us, and they’re nonviolent.”

'They have legitimate grievances - they have reasons to be upset with the
way the Internet works - but sometimes the way they put that out there isn’t
beneficial,” he said.

'99 percent” activists in cities other than New York have begun calling
their effort 'Occupy Together.” They’re listing each city’s planned protest
on their website and offering a set of online tools to help others organize
even more.

'What are our demands, you ask?” the Anonymous spokesman concluded in the
group’s latest video. 'They are simple: they are the same as yours.”

For a long list of the reasons why people are joining the '99 percent,” read
some of the posts on the group’s Tumblr, where letters from the activists
are being archived.