[P2P-F] Product Maximizing Corporations (was: "corporateperson")

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Fri Nov 25 13:04:33 CET 2011

martin,

would you agree that there is a difference between profit making (i.e. an
accidental or regular surplus in money after an exchange, which enables you
to continue to operate  in a money system) and a system    based on profit
maximisation (i.e.capitalism), i.e. between a mere market and capitalism
... this is a classic distinction made by marx (m-c-m vs c-m-c), polanyi,
braudel, de landa, and even by anarchist anthropoligists like david graeber

pre-capitalist markets were always subsumed to broader economic and social
goals (i.e. fixed price in Indian villages, 'just price', also pretty much
fixed, in medieval europe, etc ...)

it seems to me that cartels/etc .. are a inevitable feature of capitalism,
but are they a necessary feature of market systems in general, especially
when the market dynamics are subsumed?

perhaps any class-based allocation system is marred by power law and
concentration dynamics, since it was also certainly the case in feudal
systems, where it is the land that was being concentrated,

to me it seems logically that any competitive allocation system, where some
players can win, immediately favours the winner, since they already obtain
more resources in the second round

without counter-measures, are these not inevitable?

my understanding is that tribal societies had such active countermeasures?

Michel