[P2P-F] Product Maximizing Corporations (was: "corporateperson")

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Fri Nov 25 09:22:08 CET 2011

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 12:22 PM, Natalie Golovin <10natalie at cox.net> wrote:

>   Damage to the environment is an externality that can be addressed
> (nothing is perfect) through taxes & subsidies.

agreed, to a point. The very purpose and goal of profit-maximisation pushes
corporations to undercut them though, and now they have clearly captured
the state apparatus. I believe that externalities need to be internalized,
hence we need a  new type of structure, market-oriented, profit-making, but
not profit-maximising.

> Capturing/measuring the costs is often difficult and relies on current
> technologies and legal structures.

true, but many people have been working on solutions, they need more
political power to push them through, so now they can only be applied on
small scales

> Poverty & inequality are in different categories and no “system” can
> eradicate them.

must disagree with that one; they can be eradicated and a more just and
sustainable system is within the realm of possibility; we don't need
perfection, but we can do much better than today

> Scarcity of resources and risk-taking play major roles in allocation, and
> choices become skewed as decisions are controlled by govt policies,
> religion, culture & personal ethics. Consider the simple example of
> providing HIV drugs to poor populations. Lengthening lives results in the
> infection of many more individuals unless the culture “buys in” to
> prevention like condom use. Profits pay for the returns to risk in bringing
> a product to market. Once a product successfully hits the street,
> competitors are encouraged until a dynamic equilibrium is reached and in
> the long-run profit is roughly equivalent to the interest rate plus
> depreciation. Today we have nothing close to that due to cartels, monopoly
> behavior, collusion, FED manipulation of interest rates, insufficient or
> over-regulation & favoritism etc. etc.,, all now made more complex on a
> global scale.

we can agree on this ..

> Short Run vs Long Run & Individual vs Group considerations also interfere
> with desired results. Granted, things are a horrible, F’ed Up mess and
> there’s lots of criminal behavior going on, but you can’t blame it all on
> “seeking profits” Prices and profits are just signals.

they are not just signals, because they are embedded in a particular
system, and this skews any signalling power they may have; also, price is a
poor, 'single' signal; we can do better; think about the stigmergic nature
of peer production where transparency allows global mutual coordination of
a multitude of players, without pricing at all; my argument is that this
can be transferred to material production, through collective open book
management