[P2P-F] 28-year-old-is-making-sure-credit-cards-wont-exist-in-the-next-few-years

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Sun Nov 13 05:57:44 CET 2011

*
http://www.businessinsider.com/this-28-year-old-is-making-sure-credit-cards-wont-exist-in-the-next-few-years-2011-11

dea**r Sepp, could you look a**t** **this, also in a p**rac****tical way, I
would in**tend 2 do fund**raising  ..

See:
**
How does Dwolla work and how is it different from PayPal?*

With Dwolla, payments are made directly from your bank account.  No credit
or debit cards are allowed.  And because they don't exist in the system, we
don't have to bring the fees into the system.

You can spend any amount of money and when you do that, the person on the
other end doesn't have to pay 1, 2, 3 or 4%. They only pay $0.25 a
transaction, which is especially helpful when it's $1,000, $2,000 or $5,000
transactions.  Obviously PayPal becomes very cost prohibitive with those
larger transactions.

The biggest difference between ideas like this and a PayPal — and PayPal is
a phenomenal idea, Square is too — is that those are built on top of
networks like Visa and
MasterCard<http://www.businessinsider.com/blackboard/mastercard>.
We're building our own.

[image: dwolla]*Can users only send money to Dw**olla members?*

No, you can send money to anyone.  Only the person sending it has to have a
Dwolla account to initiate the transaction.  The person receiving it will
have to sign up for an account, but we've been surprised at the conversion
there.  It's worked relatively well.  We leverage social networks really
heavily as contact lists, which is one thing we do really different.  You
can send money with an email address or with a phone number, but the most
popular way to do it is to connect to
Facebook<http://www.businessinsider.com/blackboard/facebook>and type
in a friend's name.

Read more: