[P2P-F] Crowd-funded research project: Mathematics of Direct Democracy

Lee Worden worden.lee at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 22:16:30 CET 2011

That's great!  Thank you, Michel.

Chris: a blog post might look like this, depending on the length you
want.  This is text copied from the rockethub page, with html links.  I
can resend it in a different format if you prefer.

--
Mathematics of Direct Democracy

An experiment in crowd-funded research

http://rockethub.com/projects/3773-mathematics-of-direct-democracy

<embed the youtube video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpBWZLCrtj8>

The social movements that have sprung up across the United States this
fall, starting with the occupation of Wall Street, are clearly about
occupying public space and articulating the concerns of "the 99%". But
they're also fundamentally about making a new kind of democracy
possible. From Spain's
title="wikipedia:2011_Spanish_protests" class="extiw">Real Democracy
movement</a>, and Greece's
<a
href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jun/15/greece-europe-outraged-protests"
title="http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jun/15/greece-europe-outraged-protests"
class="external text">
Wall Street, in Oakland, and around the world, thousands of people are
using consensus-based democratic process to make decisions and solve
day-to-day problems together in a way that ensures that everyone's voice
counts.

As one organizer of the Wall Street demonstrations
<a
href="http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2011/10/david-graeber-on-playing-by-the-rules-%E2%80%93-the-strange-success-of-occupy-wall-street.html"
title="http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2011/10/david-graeber-on-playing-by-the-rules-%E2%80%93-the-strange-success-of-occupy-wall-street.html"
class="external text">documents</a>, the Wall Street occupation is
directly inspired by the Spanish and Greek movements' emphasis on
democratic practice. Commentator Douglas Rushkoff
<a
href="http://www.rushkoff.com/blog/2011/10/26/cnn-occupy-wall-street-is-not-a-protest-but-a-prototype.html"
title="http://www.rushkoff.com/blog/2011/10/26/cnn-occupy-wall-street-is-not-a-protest-but-a-prototype.html"
class="external text">makes the same point</a>: the purpose of the
occupations is to work on new, better ways to live together, and
democratic consensus process - the process in use in the Occupy
movement, as in many movements before it - may be its "killer app".

In the optimistic, exploratory spirit of this moment of possibility, I
am working to develop quantitative models and simulations of consensus
decision-making process. The purpose of this project is not to explain,
capture, or predict the endless surprises and delights of human
creativity and communication - that would be a fool's errand, and an
insult to humans. Rather, it is to try to capture particular aspects of
the process that seem important, and see what there is to learn from
looking at them under the microscope of a self-contained model. Ideally,
this exploration will lead to testable ideas about how to work together
to make decisions in real life. As an aside, the models I am using are
about people working together to find a solution to a shared problem,
and so they are relevant to any number of situations, including
workspaces and the scientific process.

The early phase of the project has already
<a
href="http://lalashan.mcmaster.ca/theobio/worden/index.php/Consensus_Project_Results"
title="http://lalashan.mcmaster.ca/theobio/worden/index.php/Consensus_Project_Results">produced
some sensible predictions</a>, though they are somewhat obvious - for
instance, it's harder to come to agreement in a larger group, because
it's more likely there will be someone who disagrees; and it's easier to
come to agreement when people have more in common. These results are
like turning on the machine and making sure it runs - yes, it seems to
be talking about the same process we are. Now it's time to fire it up
and see what it can do! What can you do when there are really a lot of
people, and just talking an idea over can take hours? When is it best to
break into small groups and then rejoin? If there are really different
opinions in the group, should similar people be in small groups together
or should each group have the widest range possible? Should people speak
in a particular order? What are the best strategies for finding a
proposal that wins full approval? For doing it quickly?

This funding, if raised, will allow me to work on this problem full time
for at least a month, including all research expenses. My current
funding will be ending, so if the money is raised I will be free to
focus on this project.

I am publishing all my work on this project on my publicly visible
title="http://lalashan.mcmaster.ca/theobio/worden" class="external
text">research wiki</a>
as it happens, including all data, software, and statistical analysis. I
will continue to maintain this standard, so that all results will be
immediately shared with the world. I welcome collaboration as well as
contributions.

Here is a
<a
href="http://lalashan.mcmaster.ca/theobio/worden/index.php/Consensus_Proposal/Generic-3pp">more
detailed research proposal</a>, for those who are interested.

Please consider <a
href="http://rockethub.com/projects/3773-mathematics-of-direct-democracy">contributing
a small or large amount</a> to this project, and pass on the link to
others who may be interested.
--

Lee W