[P2P-F] (digital) images of the city

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 20:06:38 CEST 2011

http://thesocietypages.org/cyborgology/2011/05/13/the-digital-image-of-the-city/

"In 1960 an architect by the name of Kevin Lynch embarked on a fascinating
three-city study of how urban dwellers keep mental pictures of their
hometowns. He and his team identified five “elements” of the city: 1) paths,
2) edges, 3) nodes, 4) districts, and 5) landmarks. These five components
constitute most of the ways individuals think about and navigate their city.
As smartphones become more and more ubiquitous, the way we navigate cities
has changed. We have GPS devices, interactive maps, social networking
applications that tell us where our friends are and where they like to go
for pizza. The city exists in physical space, it exists in our minds, and
now it exists in the digital “cloud.” How does this new layer of bits effect
the way our cities look, act, and feel?"