[P2P-F] bitcoin critique summary

Karl Robillard krobillard at san.rr.com
Fri May 20 08:06:25 CEST 2011

I don't see how the alternative currency experiments like Bitcoin do anything
to help us move to a more egalitarian, steady-state economy.

An economist will tell you that "price is information", but I'm not sure how
they justify that.  An ounce of crack, a few hours of music lessons, a lawn
mower, or a couple hours of labor might all be $100.  None of these can
remotely be considered the same, but yet the dollar value is identical.  Any
mechanism which equates these is an absurd abstraction which eliminates a
great deal of useful information.  This dearth of relational data is a
fundamental feature of money which turns the economy into a valuation game.
Over time, the wealth gap between those who game the system well and those
that don't becomes so great that a jubilee or a revolution is needed.

I see open source production and modern information technology as powerful
tools which allow us to more fully value things.  They are important because
they help make money (just a primitive form of information technology, IMO)
obsolete.  I just don't understand why people want to continue to treat the
economy as a game.

-Karl