[P2P-F] Fwd: On harping on, growing wings and Systems Thinking

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu May 19 23:49:00 CEST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michelle Smith <admin at triarchypress.com>
Date: Thu, May 19, 2011 at 7:51 PM
Subject: On harping on, growing wings and Systems Thinking
To: michelsub2004 at gmail.com

         Dear Michel,

 The fifth of Peter Senge's disciplines was Systems Thinking. (I know you
knew that). They say *The Fifth Discipline* sold more than a million copies.

 Triarchy authors John Seddon, Russ Ackoff, Bill Tate, Sally Bibb and Graham
Leicester all harp on about Systems Thinking. *(Phrasal credentials:
Shakespeare used the expression 'harp on' in Hamlet.)*

 The result? A lot of people know Systems Thinking is a good thing but not
many actually know how to *do* it. Which may be why we often get asked to
recommend a *practical guide* to Systems Thinking. Now we can.

 Rosalind Armson is a respected and experienced teacher of Systems Thinking.
In her new book, *Growing Wings on the Way: Systems Thinking in Messy
Situations*<http://www.triarchypress.com/pages/Growing_Wings_on_the_Way.htm>,
she weaves together the professional and the personal benefits of being able
to 'systems think' with her own case studies. Then she sets out the
techniques that work best in approaching 'messes' (with rules and practical
advice on each one):

   - Escaping Mental Traps *(History, Habit and Action Traps, Double Binds,
   Value Rigidity)*
   - Diagnosing with Multiple-Cause Diagrams
   - Drawing and using Rich Pictures and Influence Diagrams
   - Understanding messes with Systems Maps
   - Building Human-Activity System Diagrams
   - The 5Es (Efficacy, Efficiency, Effectiveness, Elegance, Ethics)
   - Viewing messes through an Understandascope

 If you've ever had to face a mess (from running a national health service
to a departmental reorganisation, a company merger or caring for your
elderly mother) this book has everything you need to unravel it.

Whether you’re new to Systems Thinking or an old hand, the book helps you
work with your own messy situations. It’s aimed at managers, team leaders,
strategists, policy makers, students and people with mothers.

*Growing Wings* is published this month. Order a copy now and save
£5.<http://www.triarchypress.com/pages/Growing_Wings_on_the_Way.htm>

 Thanks for reading,

Michelle Smith

PS The title? In *Catch-22 *Yossarian says, *"*We have to continually be
jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down". This book says
we can acquire Systems Thinking skills best by actually *using* them.

==========

*About Triarchy Press*

Triarchy Press <http://www.triarchypress.co.uk/pages/triarchy.htm> is an
independent publisher of books about organisations (and how they work) and
about thinking (and how we do it).

admin at triarchypress.com ~ www.triarchypress.com

* <http://www.triarchypress.com/pages/Growing_Wings_on_the_Way.htm>** *

*“**A Systems Thinking primer!  This easy-to-read book makes systems theory
accessible to those who do not have time for intensive study but need help
in structuring and solving complex problems… A resource masterpiece!”*

*Mike Haynes, Consultant *

Rosalind Armson was, until last month, Senior Lecturer in Systems at the
Open University. She has had a key role in Systems teaching and research in
the UK and internationally and is widely respected for her grasp of the
subject and her ability to communicate it.

As an independent consultant she has worked with banks, development
agencies, energy providers, the voluntary sector, governments, health-care
practitioners and many others.

She has delivered Systems Thinking workshops in the USA, Canada, Australia,
New Zealand, UAE, South Africa and Europe.

*Growing Wings* is published this month. Order now and save
£5.<http://www.triarchypress.com/pages/Growing_Wings_on_the_Way.htm>

 This message was sent to michelsub2004 at gmail.com from:

Triarchy Press | Station Offices | Axminster, Devon EX13 5PF, United Kingdom

Email Marketing by [image: iContact - Try It
Free!]<http://www.icontact.com/a.pl/144186>
    Manage Your Subscription
<http://app.icontact.com/icp/mmail-mprofile.pl?r=11844980&l=8220&s=CH3A&m=5601332&c=43399>