[P2P-F] Fwd: Death of Email has been Severely Exaggerated - Summation

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu May 19 01:16:09 CEST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Auren Hoffman Summation <auren at summation.net>
Date: Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:49 AM
Subject: Death of Email has been Severely Exaggerated - Summation
To: michelsub2004 at gmail.com

   Dear Michel,

I'd like to tell you a story about email: the communication medium of our
time.  While many predict its death, email's dominance is not a passing fad:
email will be with us for our lifetime. I hope you enjoy...

*It is alive! The Death of Email Has Been Severely Exaggerated *

It is hard to go to a tech gathering these days and not hear the phrase
"email is dead."  Everyone says the same thing: "no one is going to use
email in the future because my children don't use email."

[image: Email-change]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=x54fkicab&et=1105561498816&s=7682&e=0015jj_QTWmYWOkeWdRGnYwu1nSmuS7HoBNBeU4Z1G4VhhKlb1UD1Vv7XRq_XYt6tWGXZGH37m3zuBrs7V-mOTXZiqC-IWPjqrAiBIZPA2baC4O4cX2anA040WvhdF966WH6Ca-1XMuEP62fqAaGk3dlz-qDWXByGbI09rbS4b9fLeV7IzwRqwiRA==>Saying
email is dead is rational, understandable, and ... dead wrong.  Email
is here to stay and it is only going to get more, not less, critical to our
lives.

First the facts:
People spent more time in email in 2010 than any prior year.  The next
biggest year was 2009.  The next biggest was 2008.  And so on.  And 2011
will certainly be the biggest year for email ever.   We are still on a
rising trend as mobile devices are accelerating the growth of email.

The best proof of email's continued ascendency is all the profit companies
are making from it.   Given email is an old technology, it is incredible
that there are hundreds of companies that make over $50 MM/year just selling
email deliverability services.

The Email Service Provider (ESP) space has been growing by 30% per year over
the last several years.  Companies like ConstantContact (NASDAQ: CTCT),
Responsys (NASDAQ: MKTG), ExactTarget, MailChimp, VerticalResponse, Blue Sky
Factory, iContact, Cheetahmail, Datran's Stormpost, e-Dialog, Silverpop,
Sendgrid, YesMail, Eloqua, and hundreds of others are providing the ability
to send billions of emails for millions of businesses.

[image: Email-logos]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=x54fkicab&et=1105561498816&s=7682&e=0015jj_QTWmYWNxrvAgIB7j0o4Gh6tBRO-DcaWJW_yVXCyj8fZnYm5U5hhhwWIDPYCEU_ssIIhA5MooEYASaVHROZyS4UiWwotaKxrV9_E3qRG4lvOiNl7clkbfRsponPzDuTAe6ZwHEgKr8KpFyX5n7mKR0fZGrmGDTDqJZWiaHrjkg1Hn-tKGZg==>While
social media gets all the hype, the combined revenues of all the
social media marketers pale in comparison to the boring email companies.

And look how email has revolutionized industries. Gilt Groupe - an email
list for fashion items - now has a higher valuation than some of the most
well known retail brands.  GroupOn has revolutionized services by sending
them out to deal-seeking consumers via email.  And organizations like MoveOn
have galvanized hard-core supporters through the simple use of an email
list.

Even traditional retailers have massively benefitted from email.   Companies
like the GAP, 1800Flowers, Buy.com, and others generate a huge amount of
their revenue (and a larger amount of profit) from emailing their customers
and letting them know about special offers and new products.

Email marketing is expected to be the top area of investment spending among
marketers in 2011.  Email drives more revenue than any other medium (even
mediums like TV).  And email is almost certainly the highest ROI center in
marketing.

The power of email is that it is asynchronous (the recipient can read it
whenever they want), it can be personalized to the user (unlike a Twitter
post where everyone reads the same message), it is inexpensive to send
(unlike direct mail), free to receive (unlike SMS), it is very trackable,
and it is easy to access for almost every American with a wallet.

Some definitions:
Facebook wall posts aren't email (they are visible to everyone) but Facebook
messages are (they are sent to only a small number of people).   While IM is
not email because it is meant as a synchronous means of communication, SMSs
might become just another form of email (though it will likely continue to
have a higher cost).

[image: Too_Much_Mail]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=x54fkicab&et=1105561498816&s=7682&e=0015jj_QTWmYWPloyA_3j28Pvtnr_7Dz4A6jlnGISEeLTMGbyaTut4512cS3reP1XVjyDymj6AB0mOGJeYTVjhTJ__S8g2FByp1f6JPEknZvNwD240kp8ZdF2dCkufsPeInAgxmJpNEWQxIDWyhn3s_FZbkyyP73owqojGmhPAy42xAiYhK21Q79A==>All
of us are overwhelmed by our inbox.  But information n overload is not
confined to email: we're becoming overloaded with our newsfeed, tweets,
LinkedIn stream, SMS messages, RSS feed, and the dozens of other sources
being thrown at us every week.  There will be more tools in the future to
make the experience of using and managing email more enjoyable and more
productive ... and because of that, I don't expect to email usage to peak
for at least another 15-20 years.

None of this means email will stay the same.  It won't.  Email is already
getting more social, more filterable, more actionable, and more
personalized.   We'll see some great strides in email in the coming years
and it will continue to evolve and become more important in our lives.

See the full article and add your comments at:
http://blog.summation.net/2011/05/email-is-alive.html
 * Eleven recent tweets from @auren*

Why does the "caps lock" key take up such a prominent position on the
keyboard? i never use it

overheard: "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes
from bad judgment."

if you have not read this NYT article about Stuxnet, read it now:
http://nyti.ms/esygjV<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=x54fkicab&et=1105561498816&s=7682&e=0015jj_QTWmYWNyaHiZ__6Q_fhhkn8ejLX94KN0YXwfEJMOjpue3f_Tc6hsvJEcvxxglIZqUcLjMAYzwU2wmiCODEo23Zkk4lH_QRsubnnj5zo=>

asked his opinion of "Western civilisation", Gandhi said that he thought it
would be a good idea

the world is adding three countries per year

(the number of countries has quadrupled since 1950)

one in 600 people in the U.S. is a public elected official

2021 prediction: govts subsidize cognitive enhancing drugs to their citizens
(to give their population a global edge)

Every business school should teach a class called "Built to Fail"
http://bit.ly/dYWfD0<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=x54fkicab&et=1105561498816&s=7682&e=0015jj_QTWmYWM-c9-aFSoN3czyFYlx_a0F61Cto6mZqfd0x-h749Fpt0ZZTyyRpOWKqni9374EgFLhodK3kN2V--47EfjGC16rwnQliLuPqBw=>

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a
fool forever. - Chinese proverb

Don't let schooling interfere with your education. - Mark Twain

*If you enjoy these, please follow me:*

http://twitter.com/auren<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=x54fkicab&et=1105561498816&s=7682&e=0015jj_QTWmYWNVi5VGKpBldSHtES2LE-xa8YODRxaQZB4tPmNj1NVRAyJM2ul5m0MmeI8h-bMb9QXbD8sytw_5f-uPg8hVdGAODzUs8tJgPQ2mCEtiA-2UrQ==>

*Books to read:*

   - *The Great Stagnation *by Tyler Cowen - really interesting analysis of
   the U.S. economy.

----
Rapleaf (where I work) is looking for some great people.  If you refer
someone we hire for a full-time position you get $5,003.14 referral reward.
we are looking for:

- 5 more incredibly talented software engineers
- great sales reps and account execs
- amazing Fall interns (both engineering and business)
- and more
More at:  http://www.rapleaf.com/careers
  Read my articles in
BusinessWeek<http://search.businessweek.com/Search?searchTerm=auren+hoffman>
Read my articles in the Huffington
Post<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/auren-hoffman/>
Read my TechCrunch guest post on engineering productivity
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=x54fkicab&et=1105561498816&s=7682&e=0015jj_QTWmYWP-fPJEarOxGq6EExRAXQMww6n4Jbw0j8zHs_JBM-IoInuF0oLHzv5Nrr-ZMPL1CI6gROF4oCoZYFSVVUHqUtLwdvVaagyqR_Diej4cuKOqx4tiafSx_DMe76bXZ2nLIGM-ZK-A8xnr_OCDG6nNHplXS3ITjxB6qV4Rai17My48Dm_RH1tpipPBBzGC63KVilc=>
Read my post: The Entrepreneur vs the Strategy
Consultant<http://blog.summation.net/2011/02/entrepreneur.html>

More Auren Hoffman blogs at:
http://blog.summation.net
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=x54fkicab&et=1105561498816&s=7682&e=0015jj_QTWmYWMFv0bIlESL2D2vSF6bVl04HVEsMB7yuZHiJhPl4clQAsaMyuyoy-L4shWmVtEat5qztLY_z-8vnvRqzg5ARV-0xgODGmC0RbqkqcC_9_Vizg==>

Subscribe to Summation via your RSS reader:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/typepad/summation<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=x54fkicab&et=1105561498816&s=7682&e=0015jj_QTWmYWNnMJwwHZGictOzBreR0rYzpRrOrOQ2VgjDYcUGlSky-MVHMSfzbRa9AAtzmC-0XjnkVwFjnZ6TZ_EtExpY1-sMaNC6lR23c2rMytc1hkfPfy_mN7qoFSYMjrpbUfy6DV7GQYGEdZisSQ==>

Like Summation? "Like" it on
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Summation/182923971740031>

Please follow me on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/auren<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=x54fkicab&et=1105561498816&s=7682&e=0015jj_QTWmYWOoX8jgknFixN9tOixaUY8M7bA1fCcZu8Zyv4xU7UjIvsRWI1j9guErcL6u-grEc1NV3J1ObmrXAOxAsVb-sJlQKtPgWD400eP44tBCV2HDJw==>

(this email is sent less than once a month)
      Forward Summation to a
friend<http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?llr=x54fkicab&m=1101938229207&ea=michelsub2004%40gmail.com&a=1105561498816>

<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&m=001LGkNwO7ahPvTS8hqLfPfHw%3D%3D&se=0013h7nzY6sCxg%3D&t=001fHayXBXN19YVoeoaTJ73dA%3D%3D&lang=001FCSs65SMrsI%3D&reason=001IqezpQbqEsU%3D&llr=x54fkicab>
This email was sent to michelsub2004 at gmail.com by auren at summation.net |
Update Profile/Email
Address<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=oo&m=001LGkNwO7ahPvTS8hqLfPfHw%3D%3D&se=0013h7nzY6sCxg%3D&t=001fHayXBXN19YVoeoaTJ73dA%3D%3D&lang=001FCSs65SMrsI%3D&reason=001IqezpQbqEsU%3D&llr=x54fkicab>
SafeUnsubscribe<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&m=001LGkNwO7ahPvTS8hqLfPfHw%3D%3D&se=0013h7nzY6sCxg%3D&t=001fHayXBXN19YVoeoaTJ73dA%3D%3D&lang=001FCSs65SMrsI%3D&reason=001IqezpQbqEsU%3D&llr=x54fkicab>™
| Privacy Policy <http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp>.
  Summation | 667 Mission St | San Francisco | CA | 94105