[P2P-F] Fwd: Dialogues with Tomorrow - Timothy Morton & Douglas Kahn in New Zealand

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue May 10 01:24:58 CEST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Now Future <admin at nowfuture.org.nz>
Date: Thu, May 5, 2011 at 11:01 AM
Subject: Dialogues with Tomorrow - Timothy Morton & Douglas Kahn in New
Zealand
To: Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>

Dear Now Future friend

We’re really pleased to announce that Dialogues with Tomorrow, the series
that links the humanities, ecology, and the arts, is back for 2011.

In 2010 the series of discussions was located at Downstage Theatre in
Wellington, and for 2011 the Dialogues will be located around different
cities around New Zealand.

Our first two events, in Dunedin and Auckland this month, provide an
extraordinary chance to hear internationally renowned authors, Sydney-based
Douglas Kahn and California-based Timothy Morton. This is a unique
opportunity to be part of the conversation with these two thinkers, made
possible by their both being in Sydney (thanks
UNSW<http://www.nowfuture.org.nz/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=74&qid=8777>
).

Their Dialogue is well timed to complement and build on the visit of leading
climate scientist James Hansen who is touring New
Zealand.<http://www.nowfuture.org.nz/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=75&qid=8777>
  The Dialogues are open to all and, thanks to our New Zealand
partners
(Dunedin School of Art, Otago Polytechnic and AUT), are free to attend.

Dunedin: Monday May 23rd 6-8pm Dunedin Public Art Gallery Auditorium

Auckland: Wednesday May 25th, 10.30-12pm, Lecture room WS 114, City Campus
AUT University, 34 St Paul Street

*Dark Ecologies*

How do we sense and make sense of immense phenomena, such as climate change,
or radiation, which are real, but real in ways which most of us do not
directly experience? As ecotheorist Timothy Morton puts it, "It is very hard
to get used to the idea that the catastrophe, far from being imminent, has
already taken place".

Morton, together with media arts historian Douglas Kahn, will discuss ways
in which we can think about the challenges to humanity of nonsentient
entities, like climate change and radioactivity, phenomena Morton calls
‘hyperobjects’. They ask, how can we productively respond to these
challenges with the energies available to us? How do we radically question
the ways in which we understand and interact with what used to be known as
‘nature’?

*Douglas Kahn* is Professor of Media and Innovation at the National
Institute of Experimental Arts (NIEA), University of New South Wales. Until
recently, he was Professor of Science and Technology Studies at University
of California, Davis. He is the editor of Source: Music of the Avant-Garde.
and the author of Noise, Water, Meat: A History of Sound in the Arts, which
has been highly influential and remains the benchmark text concerning
sound-based art. Forthcoming books include Mainframe Experimentalism, a
collection on early computing and the arts, and Earth Sound Earth Signal, on
the geophysical trade of acoustics and electromagnetism in communications,
science and the arts. www.douglaskahn.com

*Timothy Morton* is Professor of English (Literature and the Environment) at
UC Davis. His interests include literature and the environment, ecotheory,
philosophy, biology, physical sciences, literary theory, food studies, sound
and music, materialism, poetics, Romanticism, Buddhism, and the eighteenth
century. His two most recent books, The Ecological Thought (Harvard UP,
April 2010) and Ecology Without Nature (Harvard UP, 2007; paperback 2009),
have had a wide and transformative impact on how ecology is conceived within
the arts and humanities. Tim blogs at
www.ecologywithoutnature.blogspot.com<http://www.nowfuture.org.nz/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=76&qid=8777>

Brought to you by Now
Future<http://www.nowfuture.org.nz/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=77&qid=8777>,
in conjunction with Dunedin School of Art, Otago Polytechnic, AUT
University, the ADA Network, Dunedin Public Art Gallery and the National
Institute of Experimental Arts, UNSW, Sydney.

We look forward to seeing you there or at a future event closer to you. Do
pass this around your networks!

Dugal McKinnon, Sophie Jerram and Freda Wells

Now Future
Wellington,
<http://www.nowfuture.org.nz/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=78&qid=8777>

New Zealand

To unsubscribe from updates please click
http://www.nowfuture.org.nz/index.php?q=civicrm/mailing/optout&reset=1&jid=122&qid=8777&h=200f77ddff9d3e83