[P2P-F] open source microfactory

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 17:41:27 CET 2011

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear /Eli,
>
> this is VERY important, can you report on this in the p2p foundation blog:
>
> http://openfarmtech.org/weblog/2011/03/open-source-micro-factory/
>
> --

>From the blog post above:

"This will test the feasibility of the interchangeable Power Cube as
an engine for cars."

This is talking about
http://openfarmtech.org/wiki/Power_Cube_Build_Instructions I assume.

If so, as a person who's actually participated in the building of cars
from nothing to drivable car, I am skeptical of this particular car
design.

Hydraulic systems in frequent service require a LOT of maintenance and
care to be dependable. I can imagine a car that is powered mostly on
hydraulics having all kinds of failures after suffering hot/cold
weather changes. One hose opens and you are probably done. Many
potential points of failure. Hydraulics are used in large machinery
because of the mechanical advantage they offer. But the trade-off is
that they tend to need more service and care. You are looking at cost
in changing the hydraulic oil, changing seals, expensive replacement
of high tolerance parts (until you are able to produce them) etc

Hybrid electric or full electric open source car makes far more sense.

Sam Rose
Future Forward Institute and Forward Foundation
Tel:+1(517) 639-1552
Cel: +1-(517)-974-6451
skype: samuelrose
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com