[P2P-F] Worker Ownership, Scale of Production, and Use Value

Joe Rinehart ashevillejoe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 20:59:14 CET 2011

I feel as though much of the complication here comes from a misuse of the
terms "means of production."  In the case of the network technician, the
plumber and the computer repair person you are mistaking the "product of
labor" for the "means of production."  The product of the labor is what is
produced/output by a production process, while the tools are what is used in
that creation.  In the case of the plumber worker ownership does not mean
owning part of the house (the product of labor), which they have already
agreed to sell back to you (otherwise you would never let them work on your
house), the "means of production" is the tools they use to work on the pipes
(snake, PEX crimper, etc).  Even though some of your examples produce "means
of production" (for instance fixing a hard drive) that is still the
service/product of labor (we can use capital to produce more capital).  In
the case of the server farm something distinctly different is happening.

It is also not a valid comparison to say a server farm should be owned
privatly because the repairer of a hard drive should not own the hard
drive.  In one case you are providing the service of a fixing hard drive to
someone who already owned the hard drive while in the other the service is
web host (which implies access to the hard drives, software and other
infrastructure).

Further theories of worker ownership don't exist in a vacuum, but are rather
part of broader theory of distributed ownership of capital.  Few would
suggest that an individual can't own an olive tree (though the worker who
picks the olives should certainly own some/many of the olives), but many
would suggest that agricultural resources should be held in common, use
distributed via a community decision making process and actual working
conditions controlled by a democratically managed organization.  These
theories would say that an individual should not own 100 olive trees.  It is
a fallacy to suggest that something that works on a small scale (private
ownership of capital for personal use) will work on a large scale.

Sincerely,
Joe Rinehart
Worker/Owner
Firestorm Cafe and Books
48 Commerce Street
Asheville, N.C.
Cafe: 828.255.8115
Cell: 828.333.4162

p.s. It's generally polite to use multiple gendered prononouns (he and she)
when describing workers or degendered pronouns (they), otherwise you are
indicating that you feel there is a certain limitation on the part of our
female compatriots.