[P2P-F] red hat's restriction's

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Wed Mar 9 20:28:49 CET 2011

I don't disagree that the companies are playing the wrong game.  I have no issue with that observation at all.

My comment about the prisoner's dilemma and tit-for-tat (the full context of where cooperation is a winning strategy) is independent of the rest of my remarks, which are based on the public statements that this thread has been based on.  I was not responding to anything specific in Sam's analysis.

On reflection, I am not clear in what way the moves by Oracle and Red Hat constitute a game of tit-for-tat.  This is not like suspension of nuclear-weapons testing or deployment of ICBMs.  What is the 'this' in "I'll stop/start this and continue so long as you stop/start this too?" Is there even an implicit offer?  Is there even a status quo ante that has any mutually-beneficial value for the commercial adversaries to return to?

Here's more of how I am baffled apart from the tit-for-tat aspect.

Since the source code is always disclosed and freely-available for a legitimate GPL distribution, anyone can find out what was changed, even if they may not know why.  (I presume that obscuring reasons in the source code is a self-defeating move.)

So, while there may be a short-term advantage in obscurity, at some point it all nets out.  While there may be some advantage in obtaining fixes from one source or another, or providing fixes better than a competitor, even though there is no obligation to directly contribute them back to any sort of community code base, they become visible and reusable and at some point it all nets out.

I still don't believe that we have the full picture and it seems to me that the parties are dissembling about what is going on.  While Red Hat may have simply never considered that a competitor would enter, I don't see how anyone can expect there to be a barrier to entry and to eventual commoditization of commercial support services for significant open-source distributions.

It seems to me that beyond the convenience and economy, the benefit of these support subscriptions is also related to some sort of risk mitigation for the subscribers.  Is some of it effectively a premium  around the safety of relying on the RHEL distribution?  Is there some aspect of indemnification incorporated in the support assurance?

 - Dennis

PS: The Oracle OpenOffice maneuver is more complicated.  Oracle has all rights over their use of the OpenOffice.org distribution by virtue of the contributor agreements they (and Sun) obtained.  This means Oracle can dual-(or multi-) license OpenOffice.org code and they can also incorporate proprietary components that are not included in the open-source version and make completely-proprietary distributions, for that matter.  In short, they (and any private licensees) are not themselves limited by the LGPL license under which OpenOffice.org is offered.   There were always support subscriptions from Sun, for its proprietary Star Office variant, and now for Oracle OpenOffice.  We'll see how that goes and, indeed, whether there is an indemnification factor.
    Here the competitive entry is an open-source pure-play (Libre Office and The Document Foundation) that can use any of the OpenOffice.org open-source-licensed code and develop it further independent of Oracle (and any private licensees), evidently without consequence.    My view of this asymmetrical situation is that the open-source contributor community has defected to an equal-footing arrangement where support and ongoing development is a shared, mutual effort, effectively isolating the Oracle-constrained OpenOffice.org.   It's as if the commons was moved, with OpenOffice.org left in the corral.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next two years.