[P2P-F] Can We Make Electronics Without Factories?

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Wed Mar 9 19:36:45 CET 2011

This should (haven't read it yet, must leave in a minute...)  touch on
the problems I wrote about 3 years ago on the P2P wiki:

You focus on post-industrial [electronics] design. What exactly is
that?

Post-Industrial design is a play on words that tries to call out the
inherent inadequacy of old-school industrial design techniques to
create relevant products for a post-industrial world. Who really ever
buys all new clothes?

Instead, we modify a little at a time, replacing parts that wear out,
of adding new pieces as our lifestyle changes. I needn't point out
that clothing is one of the few products manufactured in a distributed
way, across the US, by small designer/manufacturers. Why can't we have
the same for electronics? How do we encourage designers to contribute
to an ecosystem of pieces, rather than forcing users to buy entirely
new clothes every few years?

Full article at
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/03/can-we-make-electronics-without-factories-the-future-of-gadget-design.php

Marco