[P2P-F] red hat's restriction's

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 14:00:10 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 2:24 AM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> thanks, could we call your suggestion a 'corporate commons' approach
> (non-pejoratively)

Perhaps.

Publicly traded corporate participants in open source software commons
have to give priority to shareholder's interests under US and possibly
other country's laws.  They have no legal obligation to sustaining
commons other than complying with GPL v.x terms. It would be more
difficult for a company such as Redhat to take a sharing approach that
goes beyond the GPL and rectify it with shareholder interests than it
would be for them to make decision that tries to protect
"profitability". (The same goes for Oracle, IBM, etc).

Still, all of that being said, a commitment to cooperation over
competition could plausibly prove to be more profitable than a
decision to enclose/obscure in a bid to "protect" in a competitive
environment. The reality of course is that there are no guarantees
that an enclosing "protectionist" move will increase profits more than
a binding agreement with competitors to cooperate and share various
resources. So, the suggestion still stands that sharing and
cooperation are an overlooked option for companies of any type. It is
likely culture and worldview that drive the decision making here.
Businesses would do well to consider employing complex systems models
in cases like this, plus be open to questioning long-held assumptions.

email: samuel.rose at gmail.com
http://forwardfound.org