[P2P-F] red hat's restriction's

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 03:57:51 CET 2011

http://press.redhat.com/2011/03/04/commitment-to-open/

I would welcome any comments on this for the p2p blog,

see:

Recently, Jonathan Corbet, respected kernel community member and editor at
LWN, commented on our change in kernel RPM packaging. When we released RHEL
6 approximately four months ago, we changed the release of the kernel
package to have all our patches pre-applied. Why did we make this change? To
speak bluntly, the competitive landscape has changed. Our competitors in the
Enterprise Linux market have changed their commercial approach from building
and competing on their own customized Linux distributions, to one where they
directly approach our customers offering to support RHEL.

Frankly, our response is to compete. Essential knowledge that our customers
have relied on to support their RHEL environments will increasingly only be
available under subscription. The itemization of kernel patches that
correlate with articles in our knowledge base is no longer available to our
competitors, but rather only to our customers who have recognized the value
of RHEL and have thus indirectly funded Red Hat’s contributions to open
source that will advance their business now and in the future.