[P2P-F] "The currency is not the debt"

chris cook cojock at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 2 12:25:17 CET 2011

Michel, Roberto

Simply put, banks emit/issue currency, which are credit objects, and these are Units redeemable against value to be provided by the issuer. These units may of course be private bank notes as in Hong Kong and Scotland. There may be other countries/administrative regions where there is no Central Bank or where private banks are allowed to issue notes and coin.

My point is that these Units of bank currency to which individuals assume title either in bearer form (notes and coin) or by virtual 'ownership' are distinct from the obligations to which banks are party in relation to the use of these Units over time.

Firstly, Banks have the use of Units deposited with them; may pay 'interest' to depositors, and have obligations - debt obligations - to return these Units to depositors upon demand, or at an agreed date. These obligations are liabilities of the bank on their balance sheet.

But the currency is not the obligation: it is the object of the obligation.

On the other hand,  as many people are becoming aware, banks lend Units into existence. This creates deposits in the hands of the recipients and it also enables banks to create interest-bearing loans to borrowers as assets credited to their balance sheet on the one hand and deposits as liabilities on the other hand. Note that the currency banks create does not appear anywhere on the balance sheet other than as the £ symbol.

But as even the majority of monetary reformers are unaware, Banks also spend Units into existence, and thereby again create Units which when deposited give rise to obligations to suppliers; staff; management and shareholders (for dividends).

 ie in accounting terms: Credit Supplier a/c: Debit P & L; Credit Staff a/c: Debit P & L and so on.

The difference between income received from borrowers for the use of credit Units, and that paid to depositors for the use of credit Units is the profit credited to the bank's P & L and this funds the payments to suppliers referred to above.

Best Regards

Chris