[P2P-F] "The currency is not the debt"

Roberto Verzola rverzola at gn.apc.org
Wed Mar 2 05:36:57 CET 2011

I'm trying to understand what Chris Cook is saying below...

There are at least two meanings of credit in finance: credit as debt,
and credit as in debit/credit, left/right columns in accounting.

He seems to mean the former, except that he asserts that a credit
instrument is not debt, so apparently not.

If he means the second, accounting people always say that debit/credit
don't mean anything except left/right, which doesn't make sense in the
context below.

Would he mean some other thing then?

He seems to distinguish between the "interest-free currency" created by
the banks (meaning, I suppose, that the banks do not pay any interest
for this currency) and the debt created when this currency is loaned out
(for which the banks *earn* interest. At one point, he says banks "spend
these interest-free currentcy into existence". I could be wrong, but I
understand it differently:

Banks *cannot* spend the debt-money they create, as far as I know. The
currency they create has no independent existence *except* as a loan to
borrowers, and the banks can only spend the interest earnings from these
loans. So creation occurs *only* at the instant the interest-bearing
debt is created. As soon as the principal is paid, the currency created
from it is extinguished. Its interest earnings go to the bank; that's
what they can spend.

This makes debt-money different from the interest-free currency issued
by governments or their central banks, which have independent existence
outside a debt relationship.

At least that's how I understand it. I'd be glad to be clarified about this.

Roberto