[P2P-F] Reflecting on OpenDefinition.org in the light of definition of free and open infrastructure, and vice-versa

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 14:02:28 CEST 2011

ok for the intro time, though I'm not sure I'm really well-informed about
the intricacies of the open definitions ..

looking forward to hearing your analysis whenever you find the time!

you probably know that I have collated various open defs via
http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Standards#Open_Definitions

if you know of others that are not listed, thanks for letting me know ...
just in case you have access to a printer, and you'd be interested in
printing them out for reading them in detail, I would love a copy too, that
would allow me to prepare in detail ...

here's the list in full:

Without broad access none of the below can be used by the average citizen,
so check out the:

   - 12 Real Internet Access and Impact
Criteria<http://p2pfoundation.net/Real_Internet_Access_and_Impact_Criteria>,
   developed by bridges.org in South Africa

List of open definitions:

   1. The Open Standards
Definition<http://perens.com/OpenStandards/Definition.html>.
   By Bruce Perens.
   2. Open Standards Requirement for
Software<http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Standards_Requirement_for_Software>
   3. Free Content Definition<http://p2pfoundation.net/Free_Content_Definition>
   4. Open Knowledge
Definition<http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Knowledge_Definition> ;
   Declaration on Libre
Knowledge<http://p2pfoundation.net/Declaration_on_Libre_Knowledge>
   5. The Open Software Service Definition <http://opendefinition.org/ossd>,
   i.e. The *Free/Open Service Definition* (v1.0)
   6. Franklin Street Statement on Freedom and Network
Services<http://p2pfoundation.net/Franklin_Street_Statement_on_Freedom_and_Network_Services>,
   which concerns Network Service
Licenses<http://p2pfoundation.net/Network_Service_Licenses>
   7. Draft for discussion proposed by Evan Prodromou: Principles for Free
   Services <http://p2pfoundation.net/Principles_for_Free_Services>
   8. The Free Network
Definition<http://p2pfoundation.net/Free_Network_Definition>,
   draft proposed by the Free Network
Foundation<http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Standards?title=Free_Network_Foundation&action=edit&redlink=1>

Media-related:

   1. Definition of Free Cultural
Works<http://p2pfoundation.net/Definition_of_Free_Cultural_Works>
   2. Open Source Media
Definition<http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Source_Media_Definition>

FLOSS <http://p2pfoundation.net/FLOSS>-related:

   1. Open Source Definition<http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Source_Definition>
   2. Debian's Free Software
Guidelines<http://p2pfoundation.net/Debian%27s_Free_Software_Guidelines>

Design and Manufacturing:

   1. Open Design Definition<http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Design_Definition>
   2. Open Source Hardware
Definition<http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Source_Hardware_Definition>

Also:

   1. *What do we need to have "economically-significant, replicable, open
   source physical production efforts*?", i.e. true Distributive
Production<http://p2pfoundation.net/Distributive_Production>.
   Marcin Jakubowski proposes a set of OSE
Specifications<http://p2pfoundation.net/OSE_Specifications>to judge
such efforts.