[P2P-F] Intro to Wa3i for Change in Sudan

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 09:27:58 CEST 2011

 Topic: Greeting From SudaneseGuardian & Intro to Wa3i for
Change<http://groups.google.com/group/building-a-distributed-decentralized-internet/t/f9362164cdeec00c>

   Venessa Miemis <venessamiemis at gmail.com> Jun 14 08:35PM -0700
^<https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&view=bsp&ver=ohhl4rw8mbn4#13095e258af80009_digest_top>

   via liberationtech, sudaneseguardian at gmail.com

   Dear All,

   hi and how are you all, i hope this letter finds you all in good
   health and happiness, i am SG who blogs at
   http://sudaneseguardian.blogspot.com/,
   it is nice to get to be part of this Mail list and i am learning a lot
   from it. in this email i would like to introduce to you about my
   latest project for Sudan. as a Sudanese, i feel that it is important
   for me to start a project that promote Social Justice and Good
   Governance and hence i was looking for a way other then blogging at
   http://sudaneseguardian.blogspot.com and tweeting about Sudan at
   @SudanGuardian , I thought that my next project should be with the
   help of Ushahidi great tool of where i want to create a new project
   that track corruption and embezzlement. knowing that Sudan is listed
   among Transparency International’s Corruption Perceptions index for
   2010 as 172 out of 176. one of the world most corrupted nation and i
   feel that if we Sudanese don’t stand up against corruption and
   embezzlement in our own country then i believe no one would do so.
   Hence wa3i was born, the site is at http://wa3i.crowdmap.com/ hosted
   by crowd-sourcing map and using ushahidi as all of you know a
   wonderful program programmed by wonderful and talented people of
   Ushahidi. It was not long ago that I start this small project and it
   is still in the development stage. As all of you know Ushahidi is
   wonderful and make it very easy to program Ushahidi crowd-sourcing
   map and I thank them a lot for that, my main work was done on the
   categorization of corruption and embezzlement, I wanted to make it a
   simple as possible and as easy to understand as possible. I am sure a
   lot of you might have had some experience making crowd-sourcing map or
   are doing project that are similar to this one, If you are working on
   similar project to this one and want to work together or can suggest
   advice to improve this map please feel free to suggest ways to improve
   it and I would be grateful for you advice. especially i am having hard
   time working categorization of corruption in a simple way for everyone
   to understand. Here is some basic information about the project

   Name: Wa3i For Change - واعي لاجل التغير
   Theme: Spreading Awareness One Click at a time
   Introduction:
   Welcome to Wa3i for Change
   There is an ancient Chinese proverb that says “It's better to light a
   candle then to curse the darkness.” As Sudanese we all hold the right
   to pinpoint the wrong doing that is happening in the Sudan, we must be
   at the forefront stage of fighting corruption and embezzlement. As you
   might have known or heard from the news or read on published articles,
   Sudan is ranking among the world most corrupted Nation on earth. The
   ranking for Sudan according to the Transparency International’s
   Corruption Perceptions index for 2010 is 172 out of 176, joining other
   worst state in the ranking index such as Somalia, Myanmar and
   Afghanistan. Hence the need for the Sudanese people to pinpoint
   corruption in the Sudan is of the out most importance. Through this
   website you can voice your opinion, thoughts or issues that affect us
   all who are part of the Sudan. If you have a website that talk about
   corruption in Sudan please share it here, if you have experienced
   corruption at first hand tell us about your experience or even ways to
   fight corruptions. I would like to point out one important point and
   that is, this ushahidi map is for all of us so if you see there is a
   need for introducing a new category please feel free to suggest it and
   I would add it right away. Wish you all the best and looking forward
   to reading your comment, links or experience.

   Wish you all the best on your research and studies
   Thank you for reading this email
   Best regards
   SG