[P2P-F] Fwd: [fcf_discussion] Re: slovakias media hides behind paywall

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 16:39:36 CEST 2011

what to think of paywalls ...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Smári McCarthy <smari at immi.is>
Date: 2011/4/26
Subject: [fcf_discussion] Re: slovakias media hides behind paywall
To: fcforum_discussion at list.fcforum.net

On 04/22/2011 12:47 PM, stef wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2011/apr/19/paywalls-slovakia?INTCMP=SRCH

>> Nine major news organisations - including three broadsheet newspapers, a
>> tabloid, two magazines and a television station - have banded together to
>> charge a single subscription fee for access to their content.
>>
>> Launched yesterday, Project Piano will be free for the next two weeks.
But
>> after that, users will pay about 87p a week or £2.54 a month to read,
view and
>> listen to material provided by some of the country's main news
organisations.

The paywall tendency is becoming more common. I can't make up my mind if
it's acceptable (short term) or not. Long term it's certainly not a good
direction. Either way, this is actually an interesting development, and
will probably lead to the creation of a multitude of small outlets
catering to less mainstream views that may have been catered to by the
"cheap pages" on these more traditional media so far...

In France the media outlet MediaPart ( https://www.mediapart.fr/ ) is a
fully paywalled web publication. While the paywall itself locks down
culture, there is a bright side to the story: The reduced reliance on
advertising makes the publication more resilient to external influences.

Just a thought,
       Smári

--
Smári McCarthy  -  International Modern Media Institute
smari at immi.is   -   +354 662 2701   -   http://immi.is/

-----
+info http://list.fcforum.net/wws/info/fcforum_discussion
----